DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Kevin Sawy » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've been running Linux for a few years now, and I'm getting more and more
curious about FreeBSD (quite frankly, I'm losing my patience with Linux).
However, all of my servers are using DPT PM3224A PCI SCSI controllers
(caching with RAID support).  So far, I haven't found a way to utilize these
fantastic controllers under FreeBSD.  Any suggestions?

Kevin Sawyer

 Applied Personal Computing, Inc.
 Voice: 618.632.7282 / 800.535.APCi   FAX: 618.632.7287   BBS: 618.628.APCi
 telnet://bbs.apci.net        ftp://ftp.apci.net        http://www.apci.net

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Bob Willc » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I've been running Linux for a few years now, and I'm getting more and more
> curious about FreeBSD (quite frankly, I'm losing my patience with Linux).
> However, all of my servers are using DPT PM3224A PCI SCSI controllers
> (caching with RAID support).  So far, I haven't found a way to utilize these
> fantastic controllers under FreeBSD.  Any suggestions?

I have been planning to port a BSDi driver that I received from
Mike Salyzyn at DPT to FreeBSD for some time now.  Unfortunately
I have had trouble finding the time to do any work on it lately.
I am hopeful that this condition won't last *too* much longer.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox            politics, n:

Austin, TX               principles.  The conduct of public affairs for private
                         advantage.       -- Ambrose Bierce

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Marcelino Enrique » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if anybody knew if 2.2 currrent SNAP
supported the ability to read CD's that have been recorded to
more then once. I thought it did, but I have not been able
to figure out how to do this. The CD's come up fine under
Windows 95 and Mac OS.

Thanks for any replies

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Marcelino Enrique » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if anybody knew if 2.2 currrent SNAP
supported the ability to read CD's that have been recorded to
more then once. I thought it did, but I have not been able
to figure out how to do this. The CD's come up fine under
Windows 95 and Mac OS.

Thanks for any replies

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

(Btw., your References line was wrong, and you have posted the same
message twice.  No good.)

Quote:> I was wondering if anybody knew if 2.2 currrent SNAP
> supported the ability to read CD's that have been recorded to
> more then once.

It reads them fine, but perhaps not as you expect it. :)

The cd9660 file system currently always starts considering the file
system at offset 0.  For the so-called ``multi-session'' CDs, it
should however start at the offset for track 1 of the last session
available.  I assume this is what you want.

--
cheers, J"org

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Marcelino Enrique » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> (Btw., your References line was wrong, and you have posted the same
> message twice.  No good.)

Thank You. I will try not to make the same error again.

Quote:> It reads them fine, but perhaps not as you expect it. :)

> The cd9660 file system currently always starts considering the file
> system at offset 0.  For the so-called ``multi-session'' CDs, it
> should however start at the offset for track 1 of the last session
> available.  I assume this is what you want.

Yes, this is what I would like. Can you inform me or tell me what to
do to get this to work?

Thank You for your Help

marcelino

DPT PCI SCSI under FreeBSD?

Post by Brian Some » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I was wondering if anybody knew if 2.2 currrent SNAP
: supported the ability to read CD's that have been recorded to
: more then once. I thought it did, but I have not been able
: to figure out how to do this. The CD's come up fine under
: Windows 95 and Mac OS.

Search the news archives - someone mentioned a while ago that they were
developing this - but having a different device for each session.  I
think the plan is that you can then UNIONFS them together - pretty neat.

Was that you J"org ?

1. Problems with DPT 2024 PCI SCSI

I'm installing a DPT 2024 PCI SCSI adapter in a Pentium 200 system
using an Intel Endeavor mainboard. I've an ISA network card at IRQ 10
so the SCSI adapter is using IRQ 5. I'm running with version 2.13 of
the kernel.

I've got a build of the kernel which works OK but I need to add some
extra support which means rebuilding the kernel. I'm using the sources
for the 2.13 kernel with elf support shipped with the Slackware
distribution. I've done a make mrproper followed by a make config.
|'ve selected PCI support and the EATA SCSI driver (the one that all
the docs suggest works with the 2024). Then I've done a make dep, make
clean and make zImage, copied the kernel to /vmlinuz and run lilo.

The problem comes when I boot the system with the new kernel. At the
point where the kernel probes for the DPT SCSI adapter I get the
message

HBA at 0xff90 didn't react on INQUIRY. Sorry.

The old kernel is fine but I don't know it's origin or what options
were selected when it was built. Any ideas?

2. Matrox driver tester

3. FS: DPT PCI SCSI Controller and Caching Module and RAID moule

4. UUEncode/UUDecode

5. DPT SCSI PCI / Triton 16MB

6. can't load library --> libstdc++.so.2.9 (HELP!)

7. DPT PCI SCSI Device Driver Support?

8. Announce: Industrial Linux site

9. FreeBSD 2.2.6 + DPT SCSI Controllers

10. FreeBSD 2.2.2 support DPT SCSI controller ?

11. Problem with Wangtek SCSI Tape streamer with DPT SCSI controller.

12. Does FreeBSD recognize the Jaz Jet PCI SCSI Host Adapter???

13. freebsd and the ncr53810 pci scsi controller... does it work???