Microsoft Frontpage and FreeBSD 2.1.0

Post by Patrik Astr » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Can i run Ms Frontpage Server extensions with my FreeBSD 2.1.0 system
and  Apache 1.1.1 ??.. What do i need ?, and how to i doit ?

Patrik Astrom

Microsoft Frontpage and FreeBSD 2.1.0

Post by Carl Mak » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Can i run Ms Frontpage Server extensions with my FreeBSD 2.1.0 system
> and  Apache 1.1.1 ??.. What do i need ?, and how to i doit ?

The BSDI binaries for Frontpage 1.1 work fine under 2.1.0 and 2.1.5.
Just follow the Installation instructions.  Frontpage REQUIRES write
access to your entire web tree though.  I have been able to make it work
using group based permissions rather than making everything owned by
the Frontpage user.

There is one big gotcha.  Frontpage generates the password using DES.
You will either need the FreeBSD DES distribution (untested) or manually
create the Frontpage passwords (which are really web server passwords) and
put them where Frontpage expects to see them in;

"<doc root>/_vti_pvt/service.pwd"

I used the "htpasswd" utility from Apache to create the MD5 based passwords
and then just copied the output into the "service.pwd" file.  Worked fine
first try.

A small gotcha that is mentioned in the install docs is that Frontpage,
by default, creates web pages with the extension ".htm" instead of ".html".
Since the Frontpage editor ONLY works under Win95 or WinNT which both have
extended filenames I cannot understand this stupid limitation but you will
have to make sure Apache will recognise .htm as a valid extension.

Carl.

--
Carl Makin (VK1KCM)  <http://email.nla.gov.au/~cmakin/>

'If you want to make your spouse pay attention to what you say...
             Talk in your sleep!'

Post by Ken Bigelo » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Can i run Ms Frontpage Server extensions with my FreeBSD 2.1.0 system
> > and  Apache 1.1.1 ??.. What do i need ?, and how to i doit ?

> The BSDI binaries for Frontpage 1.1 work fine under 2.1.0 and 2.1.5.
> Just follow the Installation instructions.  Frontpage REQUIRES write
> access to your entire web tree though.  I have been able to make it work
> using group based permissions rather than making everything owned by
> the Frontpage user.

> There is one big gotcha.  Frontpage generates the password using DES.
> You will either need the FreeBSD DES distribution (untested) or manually
> create the Frontpage passwords (which are really web server passwords) and
> put them where Frontpage expects to see them in;

> "<doc root>/_vti_pvt/service.pwd"

> I used the "htpasswd" utility from Apache to create the MD5 based passwords
> and then just copied the output into the "service.pwd" file.  Worked fine
> first try.

> A small gotcha that is mentioned in the install docs is that Frontpage,
> by default, creates web pages with the extension ".htm" instead of ".html".
> Since the Frontpage editor ONLY works under Win95 or WinNT which both have
> extended filenames I cannot understand this stupid limitation but you will
> have to make sure Apache will recognise .htm as a valid extension.

To do that, edit the mime.types file in <http-root>/server/conf -- near
the bottom add htm to the text/html line. Otherwise, you can rename all
extensions to .html . If you don't do either one, .htm files will go out
as plain text.
--
Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

Post by Tom Greenwa » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: The BSDI binaries for Frontpage 1.1 work fine under 2.1.0 and 2.1.5.
: Just follow the Installation instructions.  Frontpage REQUIRES write
: access to your entire web tree though.  I have been able to make it work
: using group based permissions rather than making everything owned by
: the Frontpage user.

Where are the BSDI binaries for Frontpage?

--

************ Success or Failure, you are what you dare. ************

Microsoft Frontpage and FreeBSD 2.1.0

Quote: