GPIB: Anyone with experience?

Post by Kenneth M. Kulle » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've found the GPIB "drivers" in the FreeBSD distribution under
src/sys/i386/isa.  There are three files: gpib.c, gpib.h, and
gpibreg.h.  They appear to be something one would compile and link into
an application, but they come with no makefile, no examples of the
manner in which they are to be called,  or other documentation.

Does anybody have experience using these files?  I want to control
equipment over GPIB cable using Perl scripts.  Must I write a daemon
that includes these drivers, should I rewrite the "drivers", or are
there alternate implementations out there?  What makes the most sense to
anybody?

Post by ab.. » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

# I've found the GPIB "drivers" in the FreeBSD distribution under
# src/sys/i386/isa.  There are three files: gpib.c, gpib.h, and
# gpibreg.h.  They appear to be something one would compile and link into
# an application, but they come with no makefile, no examples of the
# manner in which they are to be called,  or other documentation.

Ehm.. They are _kernel_ drivers for GPIB boards. Not that I have any
experience with them, but it's the general way the drivers are. You use
them by compiling a kernel with appropriate 'device' enabled.

# Does anybody have experience using these files?  I want to control
# equipment over GPIB cable using Perl scripts.  Must I write a daemon
# that includes these drivers,

No. When you have a kernel with gpib device driver in it, you open
a /dev/gpib0 to communicate with the board.

# should I rewrite the "drivers", or are

You can always do this. But I suppose the existing ones are there on
purpose... :-)

# there alternate implementations out there?  What makes the most sense to
# anybody?

If I were you, I'd use the existing ones, unless they are screwed...

--

Andrzej Bialecki

 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/