Alarming Message In FreeBSD 2.1-R

Post by Internet Effect » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

When I type the command "dmesg", I see the following messages at the
tail end of the output:

in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 2400
in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 1600
in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 1066
in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 710
in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 345

My observation is that sometimes it will stay at 710 for about a week,
then it will drop to 345.  Ofcouse, after a reboot, the countdown will
start over.  Sometimes it take less than a week to get to 345.

J"org responded to a previous post similar to this one and stated the
following:

"It means your system accumulated too many clone routes within short
time, and thus finally dropped the timoeout in order to not waste too
much space in keeping them around.  Clone routes are network routes that
have been applied to a particular destination host to make routing more
efficient.  If they live for too short, your routing will be slower.
710 seconds doesn't look too short to me however."

My questions are as follows:
  1)  What value would be considered too short?
  2)  What are the consequences if this value gets to be too short?
  3)  How can I stop this countdown from occuring?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert
--
Internet Effects.... Your Gateway To The World
http://www.ifx.net

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> When I type the command "dmesg", I see the following messages at the
> tail end of the output:

> in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 2400

> J"org responded to a previous post similar to this one and stated the
> following:

> "It means your system accumulated too many clone routes within short
> time, and thus finally dropped the timoeout in order to not waste too
> much space in keeping them around.  Clone routes are network routes that
> Internet Effects.... Your Gateway To The World
> http://www.ifx.net

Since you do already know the reason, and since you are apparently
also using FreeBSD to make money, why don't you simply make the same i
would do if i were faced with this question:

        cd /sys
        fgrep 'adjusted rtq_reallyold' net*/*
        <examine the files>
        <answer the Usenet question>

I generally don't have problems answering this kind of questions, but
i start to get a bad feeling when people don't even show the slightest
willingness to UTSL theirselves.  *In particular* (but not only then)
if they are using FreeBSD to make money.  (Get me right: we are also
using it in a commercial environment, but i don't expect others to
solve my problems arising out of this.)

--
cheers, J"org