FreeBSD and hard-disk power-down

Post by Aaron Leun » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
  while using FreeBSD is it safe to have the bios power-down the
hard-disks after a period of inactivity?  I.e., will FreeBSD be able to
power them back up when it needs to, and is there any risk of losing
data or crashing?  I have a drive from IBM and another by Western
Digital.

Thanks and regards-
Aaron Leung

Post by Neil Bradle » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>   while using FreeBSD is it safe to have the bios power-down the
> hard-disks after a period of inactivity?  I.e., will FreeBSD be able to
> power them back up when it needs to, and is there any risk of losing
> data or crashing?  I have a drive from IBM and another by Western
> Digital.

It'll work fine, however why would you ever want to do such a thing on a
desktop machine? The power savings is less than $0.05 a MONTH!

It may not ever spin down, either, because FreeBSD does write to the disk
every minute or so.

-->Neil

FreeBSD and hard-disk power-down

Post by Aaron Leun » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
  the reason I want to do this is because I have two drives; one for
FreeBSD and the other for Windows.  I figure I might as well have the
Windows drive turn off while I'm not using it (which is most of the
time).

Thanks and regards-
Aaron Leung

> It'll work fine, however why would you ever want to do such a thing on a
> desktop machine? The power savings is less than $0.05 a MONTH!

> It may not ever spin down, either, because FreeBSD does write to the disk
> every minute or so.

> -->Neil

1. Hard disk power down?

Hello,

Is there any way of powering down an IDE hard disk of a FreeBSD
machine?  The disk is not used, ever, so just some hack that turns it
off once and for all after boot would suffice:)  (I use the disk when
booting the machine to Windows, but I like a quiet machine when
working...)

I seem to remember that this was possible in Linux a few years ago, so
well, I guess it is physically possible.

Any ideas?

Staffan

2. 2.5.29: vesafb problems

3. Powering down the hard disk

4. nVidia Riva frame buffers and resolution selection

5. hard disk power down

6. KOffice faxing

7. power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

8. Only 4 colors with XF86_VGA16 driver

9. What happens to hard drive when powering down?

10. hard drive power down util?

11. Power down Conner 2GB SCSI Hard Drive?

12. Hard drive power down

13. Data recovery from a Netscape HTML form after hard power down?