thinkpad 380xd

Post by David Bea » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:09:05

Trying to install freebsd 4.4Release on an IBM thinkpad 380xd.  It refuses
to see the cdrom.  Any way to make freebsd see it?  I use standard
atapi-cd drivers with winx and it works.  even works with os2.  I think
its a sanyo cd..

any pointers appreciated.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU

thinkpad 380xd

Post by Torfinn Ingolfse » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:16:29

> Trying to install freebsd 4.4Release on an IBM thinkpad 380xd.  It refuses
> to see the cdrom.  Any way to make freebsd see it?  I use standard
> atapi-cd drivers with winx and it works.  even works with os2.  I think
> its a sanyo cd..

Exactly what is the problem?
a) You can't boot the FreeBSD CD on the ThinkPad?
b) The CD boots, but then it refuses to load the kernel from the CD?

Point a) is solved by making boot floppies and booting from them, and
then installing from CD.
If you're bitten by point b), your best bet is to install over the
network (or frfom a dos partition if your hard drive is large enough).
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen
Norway

thinkpad 380xd

Post by David Bea » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:37:04

> > Trying to install freebsd 4.4Release on an IBM thinkpad 380xd.  It refuses
> > to see the cdrom.  Any way to make freebsd see it?  I use standard
> > atapi-cd drivers with winx and it works.  even works with os2.  I think
> > its a sanyo cd..

> Exactly what is the problem?

the problem as the FreeBSD doesn't even recognize a cdrom as being
available.  moreover, since ethernet is via pcmcia, I'm not sure a have
a supported pc-ethernet card.

Quote:> a) You can't boot the FreeBSD CD on the ThinkPad?

--

Post by Torfinn Ingolfse » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:11:01

> the problem as the FreeBSD doesn't even recognize a cdrom as being
> available.  moreover, since ethernet is via pcmcia, I'm not sure a have

Hmm, that is strange. And it isn't disabled in the BIOS or something
like that?
Mine is a 380ED, if you like I could mail you a dmesg output from it.
It's turned off at the moment (because I'm using the network card for
another machine), but it only takes me a few minutes to get it up and
running.
I haven't checked to see what the difference between a 380ED and a 380XD
are.

Quote:> a supported pc-ethernet card.

As long as it isn't CardBus it will probably work, check the hardware
list.

BTW, have you checked for irq conflicts?
Are you able to boot the machine with floppies?
Can you get a dmesg output from it?
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen
Norway

1. Thinkpad 380XD video frequencies

Hi,

We are trying to set up XFree on an IBM ThinkPad 380XD (the specific
model is 2635-8AS).We followed the instructions in the Linux on Laptops
guide (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/), but the
thinkpad model used there as example is the one with Active Matrix LCD
panel and we have the DualScan LCD model.

So far, we have managed to configure video in 640x480x16 but we would
like to raise video resolution to 800x600x16, for which we would need to
know the refresh frequencies to adjust the VertRefresh and HorizSync
parameters in XF86Config. We asked IBM Tech Support for that
information, but they apparently dont have that information available
(?).

Any idea where can we find that information?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando Cuenca.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. unable to print using Lexmark 1100..

3. display problem when setup linux on thinkpad 380xd

4. Help: How to rcp with dynamic IPs?

5. Xircom RealPort and IBM ThinkPad 380XD

6. MRTG - libgd - rateup problem

7. D-link DE660 and ThinkPad 380xd

8. Problem 4mm tape driver.

9. Linux on Thinkpad 380XD

10. Thinkpad 380XD

11. RedHat 5.1 & ThinkPad 380XD

12. Problems on installing multiple OS on Thinkpad 380XD

13. work at SVGA resolution on Thinkpad 380XD