Newbie Sendmail problem

Post by Jean Delane » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Sorry to ask,

I have no problem sending mail.

But to receive mail I get relaying deny.

I know with the new sendmail relaying is deny by defaults.

But I don't remember how.

I am using a dynamic DNS

I have a cable modem with DHCP .

I have given the hostname: thinker.videotron.ca

since my real hostname is something like:
modemcable247.2-200-24.hull.mc.videotron.net
and change everyday or so.

And Videotron are in .ca .net and .com

and add in /etc/hosts:

24.200.2.247 thinker.ath.cx thinker

Which is the domain  I registered with  http://www.dyndns.org/

Thanks
Jean

Newbie Sendmail problem

Post by Jean Delane » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Sorry to ask,

> I have no problem sending mail.

> But to receive mail I get relaying deny.

> I know with the new sendmail relaying is deny by defaults.

> But I don't remember how.

> I am using a dynamic DNS

> I have a cable modem with DHCP .

> I have given the hostname: thinker.videotron.ca

> since my real hostname is something like:
> modemcable247.2-200-24.hull.mc.videotron.net
> and change everyday or so.

> And Videotron are in .ca .net and .com

> and add in /etc/hosts:

> 24.200.2.247 thinker.ath.cx thinker

> Which is the domain  I registered with  http://www.dyndns.org/

> Thanks
> Jean

I figure this one out I thing.

Newbie Sendmail problem

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> Sorry to ask,

> I have no problem sending mail.

> But to receive mail I get relaying deny.

what you need to configure is a local Relay ...
Quote:

> I know with the new sendmail relaying is deny by defaults.

add a Line to your mc file with :
define(`LOCAL_RELAY',`procmail:thinker.ath.cx')
see page 252 of the sendmail book for more info on
relaying.
Quote:> But I don't remember how.

I think this should solve your problem...

> I am using a dynamic DNS

> I have a cable modem with DHCP .

> I have given the hostname: thinker.videotron.ca

> since my real hostname is something like:
> modemcable247.2-200-24.hull.mc.videotron.net
> and change everyday or so.

> And Videotron are in .ca .net and .com

> and add in /etc/hosts:

> 24.200.2.247 thinker.ath.cx thinker

> Which is the domain  I registered with

http://www.dyndns.org/
Quote:

> Thanks
> Jean

Regards,
Michael

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7593&cus...

1. Newbie sendmail problems.

Hi Experts:

   This adventure is on an Intel/Solaris 7 box.  Maintenance
Updates 1 and 2 are installed.  I'm using the sendmail that was
shipped with the OS.

   My first web server is now on the air.  This is my first
network/internet/HTML/CGI project and with help from deja-news,
FAQs and advice from this group (resolv.conf only has one "e")
things are working well.

   Now I need to e-mail from a CGI script.  I'm having no luck
with sendmail.

   First, when I e-mail myself locally from the command line,
sendmail hangs for one minute, and then it delivers the message
to me.

   When I e-mail to my account on my ISP, it fails.

   I get this in my local mailbox:

found)

   DNS seems to be working fine.  I can ftp and telnet to my account
on my ISP on the Internet.

   My client has their own mailserver, do I need to tell sendmail
to use it?  I'm under the impression that sendmail is the mail
host for the system on which it's running.

   My co-worker at this "all but my web-server" NT/WIN98 company
points out that getting mail to work on his desktop systems is a
couple of clicks of the mouse.  I've been at this all day.  I
have the O'Reilly sendmail book, and I've looked at the sendmail
FAQ, but I can't see what I need to do.

   The only change I've made is to remove group write permission
on /usr, as per the sendmail FAQ.

   The ResolverOptions is commented out in sendmail.cf.

   The sendmail configuration files are unaltered from when I
installed it.

   Suggestions?

                                                       Thanks
                                                       Larry

2. Strange permissions on vfat filesystems

3. newbie sendmail problem

4. Trouble building kernel in 4.6-stable

5. Sendmail Problems (newbie)

6. Boot stops when trying to mount partitions.

7. Help! newbie basic networking/sendmail problem

8. Karma v1.7 is released

9. Newbie Sendmail and DNS Problem

10. newbie : problems: sendmail, star office, misc. appllications

11. problem in unstanding sendmail/cf SMTP auth (Solaris 8 Sendmail 8.10) Please Explain

12. mail sendmail sendmail.cf problems

13. sendmail problem 1.2.13 sendmail server.....child wait