FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

Post by Bob Applegat » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:08:29

I've been stumped by this problem for weeks now.  When I connect to our
FTP server from most boxes, we're able to connect but not able to open
any data connections...

230 User XXX logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp>

If I connect from a machine with the same domain as the target FTP
host, it works fine.  One of our machines is on a completely different
network than this box, and it connects fine.  other machines on
remote networks get the error above.

I assumed this was a problem in /etc/hosts.allow, but I think my
configuration is correct...

   ftpd : localhost : allow
   ftpd : ALL : allow

Since I can FTP from machines on either side of the firewall, I'm
assuming this isn't an issue (the firewall seems to be unaware of
which domain it is part of).

This is under FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE.

Any ideas?

Bob

FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

Post by Ish » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 20:44:32

Quote:> I've been stumped by this problem for weeks now.  When I connect to our
> FTP server from most boxes, we're able to connect but not able to open
> any data connections...

> 230 User XXX logged in.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
> ftp>

Usually, this is a problem of not being able to make a connection from port
20 (ftp-data) to another host.
Maybe some rule in your firewall? Might not be at yours, but it is here. =)

Fre

1. 425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused

I have a linux PC setup as a firewall using IP Masquerading. When I FTP to
a live Internet IP Address I can log in to the site but as soon as I do an
"ls" command I get disconnected with the following error:

425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused

I have seen this before but can't remember the fix.

I have been able to duplicate the problem from behind different lunux
firewalls, but if I am on a live IP address, I don't have a problem.

Thanks

Joe

2. Basic Pipes Question

3. Some thoughts on Microsofts options against Linux

4. Example wanted of ECHO_REQUEST/ping

5. FTP: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

6. Problem with dosemu

7. FTP error : can't build data connection !!!!

8. FTP error 425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out

9. ftp: ``Can't build data connection: Transport....''

10. ftp client, "Can't build data connection"???

11. FTP: "425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out." ????