FreeBSD 4.4, sshd logging

Post by Felipe Gaspe » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:43:45

Hello,

        I have a FreeBSD 4.3 box that I'd like to upgrade to 4.4, but I
only administer it remotely via TCP/IP (no console, no keyboard). Judging
from the docs I found on the main ISO of 4.4, it should be just a matter
of getting 4.4's sysinstall file and running it, but I can't seem to find
that. Does anyone have any hints here?
        Also, I am running the latest OpenSSH, but the daemon won't do any
logging (previous versions didn't either). I have this line in
syslog.conf:

----------
auth.*                                          /var/log/auth.log
----------

/var/log/auth.log exists with 600 perm's. I have these lines in
/usr/local/etc/sshd_config:

----------
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel VERBOSE
----------

Shouldn't this be sufficient for logging? But I've tried logging in and
logging out a few times, in addition to rebooting, and auth.log is still
empty.

Any ideas would be *greatly* appreciated. Please cc your post to

regards,
-Felipe Gasper

1. 4.4, enabling logging from some host, how..?

/etc/rc.conf is a list of changes to the defaults that are specific to
your system.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf is loaded first, with defaults, and
then overriden by anything specific in /etc/rc.conf.  Variables (such as
syslogd_flags) that don't show up in rc.conf default to whatever is in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Don't modify /etc/defaults/rc.conf, unless you
have a really good reason.

Add syslogd_flags="-r".  Don't include the -s flag, as that would
effectively prevent -r (according to my man-page, that is; I think we
have different versions, mine uses -a <addr> instead of -r.  Read the
man-page again if your not sure.

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks to me like it would follow rules in
the hosts syslog.conf file (i.e., auth.* is forward to <host> and <host>
logs remote auth.* messages to the same file it logs its own auth.*
messages).  Don't quote me on this, I've never tried it.

Just killall -HUP syslogd on both machines.

2. Printer created with foomatic-configure prints more than I need

3. FreeBSD 4.4 and Soudblaster Live! = No Sound

4. apache 134 returns 0 bytes, but 200 status code

5. Kerberos support in NFS for FreeBSD 4.4?

6. Bash-2.x and Debian (Linux)

7. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

8. New and Updated alphaWorks Apps. and JavaBeans

9. FreeBSD 4.4 as gateway...

10. Is the card bus supported by FreeBSD 4.4

11. FreeBSD 4.4 stability shutdown problem

12. FreeBSD 4.4 and XFree 3.3.6

13. High-Speed Connection on FreeBSD 4.4