newbie problems.....

Post by J.Alve » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi !
I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me how to get a working
connection between my Slackware box and my second machine running FreeBSD
3.2 ?

Both machines use 3com ethernet cards and seem to be found correctly at
boot-up. I've tried ping 192.168.1.2 from the BSD box, giving me a *host
down* message.When ping 192.168.1.1 from the linux box it just tells me a
that all packages were lost....and so am I  :-)

I think I've set hostnames etc correctly, but I'm so new to the whole idea
of connecting two machines that even the tutorials leave me a bit confused
to say the least.

If there is an easy way of doing this I would greatly appreciate any help I
can get. The idea is to set the BSD box up as a fileserver, and eventually
connect to the internett through it and maybe allowing friends to dial.

Take care everyone, happy computing !

newbie problems.....

Post by Matthew Jenkin » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi !
> I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me how to get a working
> connection between my Slackware box and my second machine running FreeBSD
> 3.2 ?

> Both machines use 3com ethernet cards and seem to be found correctly at
> boot-up. I've tried ping 192.168.1.2 from the BSD box, giving me a *host
> down* message.When ping 192.168.1.1 from the linux box it just tells me a
> that all packages were lost....and so am I  :-)

> I think I've set hostnames etc correctly, but I'm so new to the whole idea
> of connecting two machines that even the tutorials leave me a bit confused
> to say the least.

> If there is an easy way of doing this I would greatly appreciate any help I
> can get. The idea is to set the BSD box up as a fileserver, and eventually
> connect to the internett through it and maybe allowing friends to dial.

> Take care everyone, happy computing !

Are you using BNC (tv aerial style) ir RJ45 (8 pin telephone plug style)
cabling?
If BNC, is the cable terminated properly? -

       -----+
        NIC1| + - terminator
            |=| - tee piece
       -----+ |

              | - cable
       -----+ |
        NIC2| |
            |=| - tee piece
       -----+ + - termninator

If you are using RJ45, are you inlcuding a hub in the cable, or using a special
crossed over cable?

       -----+                                            +-----
        NIC1|                   +---+                    |NIC2
            |=-----------------=|HUB|=------------------=|
       -----+                   +---+                    +-----

--
Well, there's my $0.02 worth.
Matt

newbie problems.....

Post by J.Alve » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi!
I guess you are right, Im using  a RJ45 no hub, no special cable...the guy
in the store told me just to link 'em....

Have to get a hub or some other cable then.Is BNc better ? I can use both
:-)
Thank a lot, Have a great day !
J.Alver

           -----+ |

Post by matt » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I guess you are right, Im using  a RJ45 no hub, no special cable...the guy
> in the store told me just to link 'em....

> Have to get a hub or some other cable then.Is BNc better ? I can use both
> :-)
> Thank a lot, Have a great day !
> J.Alver

>         Hi !
>         I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me how to get a
> working
>         connection between my Slackware box and my second machine running
> FreeBSD
>         3.2 ?
>         Both machines use 3com ethernet cards and seem to be found correctly
> at
>         boot-up. I've tried ping 192.168.1.2 from the BSD box, giving me a
> *host
>         down* message.When ping 192.168.1.1 from the linux box it just tells
> me a
>         that all packages were lost....and so am I  :-)

>         I think I've set hostnames etc correctly, but I'm so new to the
> whole idea
>         of connecting two machines that even the tutorials leave me a bit
> confused
>         to say the least.

>         If there is an easy way of doing this I would greatly appreciate any
> help I
>         can get. The idea is to set the BSD box up as a fileserver, and
> eventually
>         connect to the internett through it and maybe allowing friends to
> dial.

>         Take care everyone, happy computing !

RJ45 is undoubtedly the faster medium, but BNC is the easier to use.  Making a
special RJ45 cable is fairly easy and cheep, although you need a special tool to
attach the connectors.

On one end, from top down, the wires should be the standard ISO colour code:

                White / Orange
                Orange
                White / Green
                Blue
                White / Blue
                Green
                White / Brown
                Brown

and at the other end, swap the orange and green pairs, i.e.:

                White / Green
                Green
                White / Orange
                Blue
                White / Blue
                Orange
                White / Brown
                Brown

Take this order along to your local family owned corner computer shop (not a
chain store - they'll look at you like you're from another planet), and they'll be
happy to knock it up for you.

--
Well, that's my $0.02 worth,
Matt

1. Not a newbie, but with a newbie problem (startx fails error 2)

Gee, I'm embarrassed. I built my whole damn pre-R5 system, had it up and
going with GNOME and everything, and foolishly decided I could rebuild the
install to make a cleaner system.
   Now, I am encountering an early problem I didn't have before. I have
directed my "X" link towards the XFree68_FBDev (which worked before), but
now it fails with error2. I checked the permissions, and have executed it
by itself (X loads fine), but can't firgure out what;s wrong.
   Help?

--
___________

S K I N N Y         Michael Greer                    http://www.skinnydesign.co

___________

2. Find existence of a proc

3. newbie problem CUPS lokkit firewall web browser problem

4. Newbie networking question

5. Problem with RAGE II (Newbie problem)

6. LFS-sol26

7. DNS - problem (maybe a newbie problem)

8. netbsd on Apple iBook ?

9. newbie problem on ncurses: puzzling line break

10. Newbie: problems with activation eth0

11. Newbie problem with starting services

12. newbie problems

13. (probably newbie) Problem with diald that is driving me up the wall