Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

Post by Adam Rette » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:23:40

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of advice with SoftUpdates please...
Ive searched the web but couldnt find specific answers.

I work for a Web Hosting Company and we are setting up a FreeBSD 4.7 Server
for MySQL Server Database Hosting.
As a Hosting company we are obviously looking for maximum uptime,
reliability, performance and stability of our systems.

We have a new server ready to receive a Fresh Installation of FreeBSD 4.7i
and so I would like to get this right at the installation phase.

My Question is this - How reliable are SoftUpdates and for which partitions
is it suitable to enable this.

e.g. is it Safe to use SoftUpdates on my / partition (think I read something
somewhere advising against this) and how about my /var partition (where my
mysql db's will be stored) and are there any downsides to this.

Thanks

Adam Retter

---

Post by p.. » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:04:08

> Hi Guys,
> I need a bit of advice with SoftUpdates please...
> Ive searched the web but couldnt find specific answers.
> I work for a Web Hosting Company and we are setting up a FreeBSD 4.7 Server
> for MySQL Server Database Hosting.
> As a Hosting company we are obviously looking for maximum uptime,
> reliability, performance and stability of our systems.
> We have a new server ready to receive a Fresh Installation of FreeBSD 4.7i
> and so I would like to get this right at the installation phase.
> My Question is this - How reliable are SoftUpdates and for which partitions
> is it suitable to enable this.
> e.g. is it Safe to use SoftUpdates on my / partition (think I read something
> somewhere advising against this) and how about my /var partition (where my
> mysql db's will be stored) and are there any downsides to this.

By default all but '/' will have softupdates enabled. And that's a sensible
config since you should not have any writing activity on '/' anyway.

Create a separe /tmp if you expect a lot of activities in '/'

And softupdates is Ok. There is some warnings about disabling write-caches
on drives able to.

> Thanks
> Adam Retter

> ---

Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )

Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

Post by Kirk Strause » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 04:30:11

Quote:> My Question is this - How reliable are SoftUpdates and for which
> partitions is it suitable to enable this.

My understanding is that softupdates are appropriate for pretty much
everything but / (and that largely due to problems that may occur when doing
an installworld).  In fact, I believe that the 4.7 installer defaults to
enabling softupdates for all non-/ partitions.
--
Kirk Strauser

Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

Post by Adam Rette » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 02:30:48

Thanks Guys.

Greatly Appreciate your comments and help.

Adam.

> Hi Guys,

> I need a bit of advice with SoftUpdates please...
> Ive searched the web but couldnt find specific answers.

> I work for a Web Hosting Company and we are setting up a FreeBSD 4.7
Server
> for MySQL Server Database Hosting.
> As a Hosting company we are obviously looking for maximum uptime,
> reliability, performance and stability of our systems.

> We have a new server ready to receive a Fresh Installation of FreeBSD 4.7i
> and so I would like to get this right at the installation phase.

> My Question is this - How reliable are SoftUpdates and for which
partitions
> is it suitable to enable this.

> e.g. is it Safe to use SoftUpdates on my / partition (think I read
something
> somewhere advising against this) and how about my /var partition (where my
> mysql db's will be stored) and are there any downsides to this.

> Thanks

> Adam Retter

> ---

---

1. Linux Server and Windows 2000 Server Working Together - Advice Please

Hello, any help with this would be so greatly appreciated.  I've been
looking all over the place for some posts that would help me, but I
dont know if I am using the wrong keywords.  I have a Windows 2000
server (Windows 2000 Small Business Server to be exact) and some
client machines with Windows 2000 and XP Pro.  The Windows server
handles everything on the network, firewall, internet router, exchange
- the whole nine yards...works great for what we need it to do.

We are looking to have our working Red Hat Linux 9 server added to our
network so that we may SSH into it from the outside.  I've been told
that we need to get something called port forwarding/routing on the
windows server setup to point to the Linux box on port 21.

Here is some more detailed information about the network:

Windows 2000 Server
2 network cards (Int & Ext)
Int set to 192.168.16.2, 255.255.255.0 (used for internal network
connections)
Ext seto to automatically obtain an IP from the ISP (used for the
internet connection)

Linux Server
1 network card
set to 192.168.16.240, 255.255.255.0

Need to figure out a way to setup the W2k server to route port 21
requests to the Linux box.  Sounds easy, but I dont know where to
start.  Saw things in the W2k machine for IP packet filtering, port
settings and all that, but can not seem to get any luck.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete M.
Long Island, NY
DREN4

2. Newbie Question

3. Linux Server and Windows 2000 Server - Advice Please

4. Eicon Diva Pro ISDN card with Linux ??

5. server/vb - advice please

6. Need help new install RedHat 4.2 Boots forever

7. Rewriting my multi-client server, please advice.

8. Passing file-descriptors?

9. YOUR ADVICE PLEASE : Linux server / firewall

10. Advice, please - Minimal config to run three server apps?

11. Best hardware config for linux server - Advice please

12. KDE 2.2.1 Install, I need some advice please!

13. New install advice, please