xfree86 question?

Post by Rahmat Qurba » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

   Hi all:

   I have installed xfree86-3.2 to my system, my questions are:

   1. I only can run xwin only as a root, is there a way to run X
      as a usr, without loging in as a root?
      By the way what is the proper way to quit X?
   2. Are there any Desktop Manager similar to Motif for xfree86-3.2
      Freeware?
   3. I wanted to get programs to run under X like, ghostview, movie
      player, or audio-player etc. where can I get these programs and
      I think I need to put a line to the kernel (my sound card info.
      by the way my sound card is made by OPTi) and recompile the kernel.
      so, my question is how exactly to I put this line of code in order
      for the os to recognize my sound card?

    Any suggestions regarding the obove questions will be appreciated
    Thanks.

xfree86 question?

Post by Conrad Sabati » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    Hi all:

>    I have installed xfree86-3.2 to my system, my questions are:

>    1. I only can run xwin only as a root, is there a way to run X
>       as a usr, without loging in as a root?

Funny, since I upgraded, I have exactly the opposite problem.  I can run X
as any user using "startx", but with xdm, root logins fail.

Quote:>       By the way what is the proper way to quit X?

Depends how you're starting it.  With "startx", just quit your login
xterm, and you'll shut it down.  With xdm -- well, the whole idea of using
xdm is that it's *not* that easy to kill it.  :-)

Quote:>    2. Are there any Desktop Manager similar to Motif for xfree86-3.2
>       Freeware?

There are loads of windows managers for X.
http://www.csv.warwick.ac.uk/~csuoq/window_managers/index.html is a good
site for exploring this.

Quote:>    3. I wanted to get programs to run under X like, ghostview, movie
>       player, or audio-player etc. where can I get these programs

You can get a lot of these, already ported to FreeBSD, from the official
FreeBSD site (http://www.freebsd.org).

Quote:>       I think I need to put a line to the kernel (my sound card info.
>       by the way my sound card is made by OPTi) and recompile the kernel.
>       so, my question is how exactly to I put this line of code in order
>       for the os to recognize my sound card?

Read the handbook, FAQ, etc.  You may also want to browse the mailing list
archives on the web site.  Great source of information.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

1. XFree86 question

Hi All:
I use RH7.1 on a stand-alone i386.
I recenlty upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 using tar files from XFree site
and their install routine.

Now everytime I start rpm to install a new software that needs XFree I
get failed dependencies for files that are already on the system.  So, I
re-run the rpm using --nodeps parameter and all is well.

Q: Is there a way to cure this problem once and for all?
BTW: the path to XFree files is in the ld.so.conf file.

Thanks for any help.

Masoud

2. /dev/sr0: SCSI CD ROM drive - how do I make the device?

3. XFree86 Question

4. bootmanager problem

5. Xfree86 questions

6. Mandrake 7.2 and Xmms :(

7. XFree86 Questions.....

8. Enquiry about UNIX groups and user security

9. xfree86 question, I WANT MY 800x600!!!!!

10. XFree86 question

11. XFree86 Question... again!

12. Xfree86 questions