Installation Probs

Post by Kay Lehman » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 20:46:40

I am new to FreeBSD after about 3 years using Linux. The system is
installed (default), but I can't get XFree86 4.0.3 running. First
sysinstall hangs up with the Servers package and dialog used the whole
CPU. Manual installation with pkg_add was successfull. But now I
configured it but it doesn't start. As root I become the message "unable
to open /dev/io" and as normal user the server says unable to open the
log file.
The second problem is that I am not able to load kernelmodules when the
system is up. I get the message that root has no permission to do this.
Please Help!!
kay

Installation Probs

Post by Lee Ha » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 07:11:28

Quote:> I am new to FreeBSD after about 3 years using Linux. The system is
> installed (default), but I can't get XFree86 4.0.3 running. First
> sysinstall hangs up with the Servers package and dialog used the whole
> CPU. Manual installation with pkg_add was successfull. But now I
> configured it but it doesn't start. As root I become the message "unable
> to open /dev/io" and as normal user the server says unable to open the
> log file.

How are you starting the server?
I think if you try to run startx as root it will not work.
Did you try xdm?

Does it give the name of the log file it is trying to open?
You could create it and give your user permission to write it.

Quote:> The second problem is that I am not able to load kernelmodules when the
> system is up. I get the message that root has no permission to do this.
> Please Help!!

At what securelevel are you running? If you are at securelevel 1 you
will not be able to load kernel modules.

sysctl kern.securelevel
will show you the current value

1. PHP Installation Probs on Linux 7.0

I hope that posting a PHP question to this group is ok.  I've seen a few
others and I assume that most people in this group will have had PHP
experience.  Anyways, I'm trying to set up PHP on a Linux 7.0 machine.
I'm a little new at this, so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

When I run the configure script, I get an error when I try to use apxs
which I guess is the DSO support or something.  It says:

Sorry, I cannot run apxs.  Either you need to install Perl or you need
to pass the absolute path of apxs by using
--with-apxs=/absolute/path/to/apxs

I did that using /usr/lib/apache  Does anyone know if that's the right
path?  If someone could point me in the right direction, I would
appreciate it.  Thank you.

2. Mac OSX doomed per Linux Journal

3. Installation Probs

4. need help with GNU fileutils 3.12 compilation on SCO OSR5 - more detail included

5. IRC & Xwin installation probs

6. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

7. Installation-Probs

8. obnoxious music when installing Solaris 8

9. RedHat ver. 2.1 installation prob.

10. Slackware 1.2.0 Installation Probs

11. Wordperfect installation probs

12. Unix Listserver 6.0 installation prob

13. installation prob with apache 1.3b2