FreeBSD progress for mac/ppc?

I think it's supposed to come with 5, is there any way I could help out and test now?  Has anyone tried it?  I am thinking about installing it on my powerbook just for shits and giggles.

Post by John Nielse » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 04:23:40

> I think it's supposed to come with 5, is there any way I could help out
> and test now?  Has anyone tried it?  I am thinking about installing it on
> my powerbook just for shits and giggles.

 http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

1. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 5 (Making Progress)

Ok, I think I am getting somewhere (YEAH).  First of all, I am doing
all of this editing via ssh across a LAN, still pretty proud of myself
on that one :)

First of all, I edited  /usr/home/jay/.cshrc

so that my default editor is now ee and so my prompt tells my what
directory I am in.  Then I edited /.cshrc

So that when I su'd to root, my defualt editor would stay ee and also
that my command prompt stayed the same.  Now that I look at the
'locate cshrc', though, I think I should have edited /root/.cshrc just
for root.  By making changes to /.cshrc did I set some global options
for all future users?  Just verified that is what I did, su'd to root,
then changed /root/.cshrc so the prompt reads ROOT now, so I know when
I am root or not.

Then I was reading through the http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/ (A
Comprehensive Guide to FreeBSD) and trying to follow along as I was
reading.  Opening up the config files and looking at the settings.
Well, when I  opened up /etc/inetd.conf I saw that ftp was commented
out.  Removed the #  and rebooted (have to learn how to start and stop
daemons, still).  After reboot, ran a netstat -Aan and saw that port
21 was listening, tried to ftp to my server... AND I COULD!!!!
WOOT!!!

Bad news is that when i did an ls, it showed me lots of files that I
probably don't want to have access to, or anyone else for that matter,
through ftp.

A few people suggested using chroot, others said use Guest accounts.
Gotta figure out what to do next.  The sttructure I am looking for is
something like this.

/ftp (base directory when someone logs into my ftp
/ftp/music
/ftp/software
/ftp/upload

With other directories under those main directories... but the /ftp
being the root directory of the tree.
Totally Jayynes

2. Firwalls

3. G4 & linux ppc video FAQ (in progress)

4. hardware and slackwae

5. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Days 10-14

6. XWindows with Philips Brilliance 105

7. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 2

8. Possible to do this?

9. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 4

10. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 3

11. The REAL Test (FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 8)

12. FreeBSD Newbie Progress so far

13. Progress and FreeBSD