Can't Boot frrom Boot Floppy (HELP!)

Post by Ron Higgi » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

HELP!

I am attempting to install FreeBSD v2.1 on my system at home.  I have the
Walnut Creek CD-ROM version of FreeBSD 2.1.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get the system to boot a FreeBSD
boot floppy.

I have tried three different boot floppies so far, and no luck. The first
boot floppy is one that I've had, and used to boot and install two systems
so far. The second is one is one that I made from the FreeBSD CD-ROM with
the makeflp.bat command, and the third is one that I made with rawrite and
a new boot.flp image from the FreeBSD FTP site.

What happens is that the system will briefly look at the floppy, as if it
boot from there, and then proceed directly to the HD and boot the OS/2
boot manager.

The system is a Pentium 133 with 512k of cache, 32 meg of EDO memory,
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller, Conner 2.1gig Fast-Wide SCSI drive, Sony
4x SCSI CD-ROM, Teac floppy, Award BIOS, CTI Motherboard with the Intel
VX chipset ISA/PCI, Matrox MGA Millenium 4meg Video card, Soundblaster 16.

I got the boot floppy to boot once, way back, early in the evening, but
had the partitions set up wrong with OS/2's boot manager. Fix that, but
haven't been able to boot a FreeBSD floppy again.

Since I don't have DOS on the system, I can't install from the CD-ROM
that way, and even if I loaded DOS on the system, I don't have any CD-ROM
drivers for DOS.

The only operating system I have installed at this time is OS/2 Warp. I
tried installing from a DOS full-screen, but that didn't work either.

Looks like my only alternative is to boot off of the floppy, but I can't
get the system to do that!  I can boot into DOS from the floppy drive, so
I know that the drive is good.

I have the OS/2 boot manager set up as follows:
Boot Manager  ?? meg
DOS Primary   100 meg
DOS logical   100 meg
HPFS logical  300 meg   (OS/2 boot)
HPFS logical  600 meg   (OS/2 data)
9xx (whatever was left) for FreeBSD

I plan on installing DOS/Windows on the DOS primary partition (when I have
a chance), but would like to get FreeBSD installed first.

Also, for the dopcumentation people, I couldn't find anything on whether
or not FreeBSD will boot from a logical partition located above the 540
meg limit.

Please reply to the e-mail address listed below.
Ron Higgins                   | Lightning Systems       | Lightning Systems

http://www.cc.edu/~rhiggins/  | 33.6k USR Dual Standard | Mukwonago, WI 53149
        **  Ask me about the Turbo ASB for your Apple // Computer  **

Post by Ken Bigelo » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> HELP!

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD v2.1 on my system at home.  I have the
> Walnut Creek CD-ROM version of FreeBSD 2.1.

> The problem I am having is that I cannot get the system to boot a FreeBSD
> boot floppy.

> I have tried three different boot floppies so far, and no luck. The first
> boot floppy is one that I've had, and used to boot and install two systems
> so far. The second is one is one that I made from the FreeBSD CD-ROM with
> the makeflp.bat command, and the third is one that I made with rawrite and
> a new boot.flp image from the FreeBSD FTP site.

> What happens is that the system will briefly look at the floppy, as if it
> boot from there, and then proceed directly to the HD and boot the OS/2
> boot manager.

Check your BIOS Setup. I'll bet 6 cookies and a donut that your boot order is
C, then A or else it is C only. You'll have to change it to A, then C to boot
from floppy.

> The system is a Pentium 133 with 512k of cache, 32 meg of EDO memory,
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller, Conner 2.1gig Fast-Wide SCSI drive, Sony
> 4x SCSI CD-ROM, Teac floppy, Award BIOS, CTI Motherboard with the Intel
> VX chipset ISA/PCI, Matrox MGA Millenium 4meg Video card, Soundblaster 16.

> I got the boot floppy to boot once, way back, early in the evening, but
> had the partitions set up wrong with OS/2's boot manager. Fix that, but
> haven't been able to boot a FreeBSD floppy again.

> Since I don't have DOS on the system, I can't install from the CD-ROM
> that way, and even if I loaded DOS on the system, I don't have any CD-ROM
> drivers for DOS.

> The only operating system I have installed at this time is OS/2 Warp. I
> tried installing from a DOS full-screen, but that didn't work either.

> Looks like my only alternative is to boot off of the floppy, but I can't
> get the system to do that!  I can boot into DOS from the floppy drive, so
> I know that the drive is good.

> I have the OS/2 boot manager set up as follows:
> Boot Manager  ?? meg
> DOS Primary   100 meg
> DOS logical   100 meg
> HPFS logical  300 meg   (OS/2 boot)
> HPFS logical  600 meg   (OS/2 data)
> 9xx (whatever was left) for FreeBSD

> I plan on installing DOS/Windows on the DOS primary partition (when I have
> a chance), but would like to get FreeBSD installed first.

> Also, for the dopcumentation people, I couldn't find anything on whether
> or not FreeBSD will boot from a logical partition located above the 540
> meg limit.

> Please reply to the e-mail address listed below.
> Thanks,
> --
> Ron Higgins                   | Lightning Systems       | Lightning Systems

> http://www.cc.edu/~rhiggins/  | 33.6k USR Dual Standard | Mukwonago, WI 53149
>         **  Ask me about the Turbo ASB for your Apple // Computer  **

CC sent.

Ken

Can't Boot frrom Boot Floppy (HELP!)

Post by Ron Higgi » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> The problem I am having is that I cannot get the system to boot a FreeBSD
>> boot floppy.

>> What happens is that the system will briefly look at the floppy, as if it
>> boot from there, and then proceed directly to the HD and boot the OS/2
>> boot manager.
>Check your BIOS Setup. I'll bet 6 cookies and a donut that your boot order is
>C, then A or else it is C only. You'll have to change it to A, then C to boot
>from floppy.

Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply (I got one other already). However, I maybe
didn't make this clear.  I can boot from the floppy drive with a DOS
floppy, just not with the FreeBSD boot floppy.

The BIOS says that the boot sequence is A,C.  So that's right.

Hmmmm...Looks like I'll be getting those cookies and a dounut.  :-)

Post by Ken Bigelo » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >> The problem I am having is that I cannot get the system to boot a FreeBSD
> >> boot floppy.

> >> What happens is that the system will briefly look at the floppy, as if it
> >> boot from there, and then proceed directly to the HD and boot the OS/2
> >> boot manager.

> The BIOS says that the boot sequence is A,C.  So that's right.

> Hmmmm...Looks like I'll be getting those cookies and a dounut.  :-)
> Thanks,

Okay, herewith 6 stale cookies ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
and a dried-out, shriveled-up donut that's been crushed by the US Mule
Service {{{}}}   :-)

Now that the fun's over with, let's try the next logical questions: When
you pulled down the boot.flp code, did you specify a binary file
transfer? Did you use rawrite.exe to create the boot floppy? For that
matter, did you use a binary transfer to get rawrite.exe?

One of my co-workers made that mistake in getting most of the
distribution, and the result was an *amazing* sequence of errors!

--

Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

Post by Brian Some » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Now that the fun's over with, let's try the next logical questions: When
: you pulled down the boot.flp code, did you specify a binary file
: transfer? Did you use rawrite.exe to create the boot floppy? For that
: matter, did you use a binary transfer to get rawrite.exe?

: One of my co-workers made that mistake in getting most of the
: distribution, and the result was an *amazing* sequence of errors!

I believe he said that he had already installed 2 FreeBSDs from the
same physical disk.....

My laptop has a *crap* floppy drive.  I recently spent about 1 hour
trying to make a FreeBSD boot floppy on my laptop.  I formatted the disk
(no bad bits), wrote the image (no write errors) - doesn't boot.  I DOS
formatted the disk, FreeBSD wrote the image - no errors - no boot.  I
copied the image to a DOS partition, DOS formatted, DOS dd'd, no
errors, no boot.

In the end, it occured to me that there may be a hardware problem
(my only recourse - I was beginning to look stupid), so I wrote the
image to another computer, and everything worked.

It's possible that the original posters floppy drive is just bad....
It's a pain the the ass, but have you tried booting the same machine
with a different floppy drive ?

Post by Patrick Leu » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Now that the fun's over with, let's try the next logical questions: When
: you pulled down the boot.flp code, did you specify a binary file
: transfer? Did you use rawrite.exe to create the boot floppy? For that
: matter, did you use a binary transfer to get rawrite.exe?

: One of my co-workers made that mistake in getting most of the
: distribution, and the result was an *amazing* sequence of errors!

yes indeed.
Also, you should format the disks yourself; don't rely on preformatted
disks to be 100% good.  Often times, the check for bad blocks for
formatting new disks is omitted to save time.  If you do save your kernel
onto a bad disk, you'll inevitably get tons of errors, and won't know the
real cause.

Patrick

1. Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

I successfully performed a UMSDOS install of the Slackware distribution
(from floppy disks A,AP,Q,U) on my laptop:
   Epson 4SLC/25  (486 25MHz)
   4Mb RAM
   120 MB HD

After the installation completed, it prompted me to create a boot floppy,
which I did (and have re-tried several times, but to no avail).

This boot floppy does not boot - the computer goes through the POST, spins
the floppy once, then just sits there dead in the water.

BTW, I formatted this floppy under DOS both with and without /S;  it didn't
make any difference.

BTW also, I am trying to use the idekern kernel (at least until I can get
a regular boot off my boot floppy).

Any ideas?  The Installation-HOWTO isn't very specific about this kind of
problem.

Question:  If I were to boot using the installation boot/root disks, and
           did an "ls" on this troubled boot floppy, what (if anything)
           should I see?

Many thanks!

-Gerard

2. TV Capture In Linux?

3. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

4. windows-liunx Logon HOWTO ??

5. IDE UDMA blacklist++

6. Redirecting output of fork

7. Installation problem: can't boot from boot floppy

8. Can't boot from boot floppy

9. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

10. Boot Floppy Don't Boot

11. RH5.1 Boot Floppy Won't Boot