We are looking into a possibility of changing our DEC Alphaservers 1000A
500Mhz running OSF1 by Dell PowerEdge machines running FreeBSD 4.4. The
main function of these servers is mail relaying. I came with the
1. How is the hardware compatibility between FreeBSD 4.4 and Dell
Poweredge series overall? I compared the hardware details with the
FreeBSD compatibility list and most seems to be compatible. Any success
running FreeBSD on Dell PowerEdge?
2. Would it be possible to use an SMP kernel on these machines? Is there
a significant difference in term of CPU performance using multiple
processors under FreeBSD?
3. Anybody successfuly used the hardware raid built-in to PowerEdge with
FreeBSD 4.4? (Can't find details on manufacturer...).
4. What is approximatly the equivalent of DEC Alpha 1000A 500Mhz on Dell
5. Is it worth to increase NBCLUSTERS kernel config for a traffic of
approx 15 000 messages/day?
Thanks in advance for bringing light!