install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Peter Dosh » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I currently have 2 CD-ROMs (which came with Complete Guide to FreeBSD)
which are 2.2.1 CDs.  My question is: now that I'm finally getting
around to installing FreeBSD on my system, should I install 2.2.1 and
then upgrade to 2.2.5 or just buy new 2.2.5 CDs and start fresh?  Keep
in mind that I'm really new to installing a UNIX system.  I've been
using them for some time (just shell usage), but installing and
administrating will be a hobby for me, so although I have time to devote
to learning, I'm starting on level 1.  I read a CNET article a week or
so back about a rave RedHat 5.0 review... but I dont' want to start a
linux vs. freebsd debate.  I have decided to go with FreeBSD and stick
with it.

Secondly, why is 2.2.1 so infrequently mentioned.  I always see 2.2.2
and 2.2.5 - no 2.2.1....

What would be the typical installation for a novice to get a nice system
up and running if he doesn't want to spend money on anything but the
original FreeBSD CDs?

I must admit that I've been using NT for a while. I'm running Netscape
4.04.  4.04 is out for freebsd, too - but how does it work?  any
problems? easy to install?

if somebody could, could you please go over what it basically takes to
install software (like netscape for example) in Unix.  Windoze has
installations down to typing setup.exe for everything, but is that the
case with FreeBSD?

Does FreeBSD have a RPM type package?

I know some people may not feel inclined to reply to this post.  It
appears that I'm a real windoze person trying to do the 'kool' thing and
switch to FreeBSD - far from teh case.  I'm just tired of windoze and
want a challenge (that i can handle) and something that will be very
rewarding.

I connect to the internet through ISP which uses PAP logins, I believe.
Anybody have some good resources for learning how to setup PPP and
Dial-Up net accounts which you personally have tried and work....

Network Neighborhood has long been a mystery to me.  From college, we
can go through the network neighborhood and see other people's public
directories... how will this work in freebsd - will their directories
and systems (primarily win95) still be visible to me.

Finally, my setup is:

PII 266
64MB EDO RAM
Matrox Millennium 4MB PCI
Quantum eide
16x mitsumi cdrom

Intel PD440FX motherboard
Yamaha OPL3-SA3 sound card (built in motherboard), 16bit

No scsi devices or card on system...yet

The reason why I am posting this is that I had installed 2.2.1 earlier
this year, but after runnign the XF86config program I couldn't
successfully launch xwin by startx or anything. I thought this woudl be
no problem considering the hardware is definitely good quality (isn't
it?) but instead a lot of text scrolled by and said basically "could not
find available video mode" or something like that.  I can't exact
remember, but I tried setting it up as simple as standard VGA, and still
to no avial. Any ideas what the problem might have been?  I'll be
installing 2.2.1/2.2.5 (depending on the response to this email) and the
will be able to troubleshoot with this newsgroup.

Also, let me know if I should break up posts, or keep them like this...
would help to know if i'm presenting myself the right way....

Thanks so much,
peter

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by stephen farrel » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

howdee,

Quote:> I currently have 2 CD-ROMs (which came with Complete Guide to FreeBSD)
> which are 2.2.1 CDs.  My question is: now that I'm finally getting
> around to installing FreeBSD on my system, should I install 2.2.1 and
> then upgrade to 2.2.5 or just buy new 2.2.5 CDs and start fresh?  Keep
> in mind that I'm really new to installing a UNIX system.  I've been
> using them for some time (just shell usage), but installing and
> administrating will be a hobby for me, so although I have time to devote
> to learning, I'm starting on level 1.  I read a CNET article a week or
> so back about a rave RedHat 5.0 review... but I dont' want to start a
> linux vs. freebsd debate.  I have decided to go with FreeBSD and stick
> with it.

get 2.2.5 from cheapbytes for $5.

Quote:> Secondly, why is 2.2.1 so infrequently mentioned.  I always see 2.2.2
> and 2.2.5 - no 2.2.1....

I think 2.2.1 had some significant problems.

Quote:> What would be the typical installation for a novice to get a nice system
> up and running if he doesn't want to spend money on anything but the
> original FreeBSD CDs?

whatchew talkin' 'bout, willis?

Quote:> I must admit that I've been using NT for a while. I'm running Netscape
> 4.04.  4.04 is out for freebsd, too - but how does it work?  any
> problems? easy to install?

Works quite well for me.

Quote:> if somebody could, could you please go over what it basically takes to
> install software (like netscape for example) in Unix.  Windoze has
> installations down to typing setup.exe for everything, but is that the
> case with FreeBSD?

Well, it depends a little bit.  For netscape, there is a script called
install.sh.  You run this script as root.  Some other commercial apps
have similar install scripts.  Many other programs need to be
compiled.  For these you usually want to read the README and do what
it says... for FreeBSD "ports", you can usually just do "make all
install" in the appropriate directory.

Quote:> Does FreeBSD have a RPM type package?

Yes--for optional packages... though the "core" system is distributed
as a whole and managed separately.

Quote:> I know some people may not feel inclined to reply to this post.  It
> appears that I'm a real windoze person trying to do the 'kool' thing and
> switch to FreeBSD - far from teh case.  I'm just tired of windoze and
> want a challenge (that i can handle) and something that will be very
> rewarding.

If my experience is any indicator, then I can guarantee that it will
be rewarding...

Quote:> I connect to the internet through ISP which uses PAP logins, I believe.
> Anybody have some good resources for learning how to setup PPP and
> Dial-Up net accounts which you personally have tried and work....

Not me; but I know it's out therre.  have you checked the web site?

Quote:> Network Neighborhood has long been a mystery to me.  From college, we
> can go through the network neighborhood and see other people's public
> directories... how will this work in freebsd - will their directories
> and systems (primarily win95) still be visible to me.

Linux has a smb filesystem so you can mount your friend's drives; it
is my understanding that freebsd does not.  You will be able to act as
a fileserver, however,  to win95 machines using the "samba" package.

> Finally, my setup is:

> PII 266
> 64MB EDO RAM
> Matrox Millennium 4MB PCI
> Quantum eide
> 16x mitsumi cdrom

> Intel PD440FX motherboard
> Yamaha OPL3-SA3 sound card (built in motherboard), 16bit

Sounds good... I don't know too much about that sound card, however.

Quote:> The reason why I am posting this is that I had installed 2.2.1 earlier
> this year, but after runnign the XF86config program I couldn't
> successfully launch xwin by startx or anything. I thought this woudl be
> no problem considering the hardware is definitely good quality (isn't
> it?) but instead a lot of text scrolled by and said basically "could not
> find available video mode" or something like that.  I can't exact
> remember, but I tried setting it up as simple as standard VGA, and still
> to no avial. Any ideas what the problem might have been?  I'll be
> installing 2.2.1/2.2.5 (depending on the response to this email) and the
> will be able to troubleshoot with this newsgroup.

Matrox support is still relatively new.  The latest freebsd, of
course, has the latest xfree86, and hence should be more likely to
work better with the matrox card.  Still, a good old S3 card is likely
to be less problematic.  There are commerical X servers available that
support the matrox if you continue to have problems with xf86.  make
sure you run the configure stuff for xf86!

Quote:> Also, let me know if I should break up posts, or keep them like this...
> would help to know if i'm presenting myself the right way....

I think you're presenting yourself quite welll =).  Also keep in mind
that there is a freebsd-questoins mailing list that would also be a
suitable forum for such questions.  see the website.

--sf

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Peter Dosh » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> get 2.2.5 from cheapbytes for $5.

Will do.

Quote:

> > Secondly, why is 2.2.1 so infrequently mentioned.  I always see 2.2.2
> > and 2.2.5 - no 2.2.1....

> I think 2.2.1 had some significant problems.

So you're advising me not to even touch it, right?  When I installed
2.2.1 it came with 2 CDs (installation and the live file system).  The
cheapbytes one will come with only the installation CD, right?

Quote:

> > What would be the typical installation for a novice to get a nice system
> > up and running if he doesn't want to spend money on anything but the
> > original FreeBSD CDs?

> whatchew talkin' 'bout, willis?

Hm... I'm saying that I don't have money to spend.  Just don't.  I said
earlier that I'm running NT - so I want to duplicate my setup that I
have in NT in FreeBSD.  Meaning that basically if I get Netscape 4.04
working under FreeBSD I'll be happy.  Think you could help me through
that? Installation should go smoothly, right?

One of my major fears is that I'm never going to get Xwindows up and
running - nothign scares me more.  I need somebody to help me.
Incredibly, about 4 years ago, I got Xwindows running on an ET4000
(different computer entirely) on .979something Yggdrasil Linux.  Hehe -
come a long way - and it was really frustrating to not get X up on 2.2.1
- thought it would be a cinch.  Incidentally, what is the difference
between Xfree, x86, x11, and all those terms?

Quote:> > I must admit that I've been using NT for a while. I'm running Netscape
> > 4.04.  4.04 is out for freebsd, too - but how does it work?  any
> > problems? easy to install?

> Works quite well for me.

and it was easy to install?  You just chmod +x install.sh and typed
"./install.sh" or something and then the GUI installation guide came up
and was basically a clicking "OK" episode thereafter?  No additional
problems? If so, that's great - you're really calming my fears.

Quote:> Well, it depends a little bit.  For netscape, there is a script called
> install.sh.  You run this script as root.  Some other commercial apps
> have similar install scripts.  Many other programs need to be
> compiled.  For these you usually want to read the README and do what
> it says... for FreeBSD "ports", you can usually just do "make all
> install" in the appropriate directory.
> > Does FreeBSD have a RPM type package?

> Yes--for optional packages... though the "core" system is distributed
> as a whole and managed separately.

What do you mean 'optional' packages?  Is XFree considered an optional
package?

Quote:> > I connect to the internet through ISP which uses PAP logins, I believe.
> > Anybody have some good resources for learning how to setup PPP and
> > Dial-Up net accounts which you personally have tried and work....

> Not me; but I know it's out therre.  have you checked the web site?

Will check and post any good URLs I find.

Quote:> > Network Neighborhood has long been a mystery to me.  From college, we
> > can go through the network neighborhood and see other people's public
> > directories... how will this work in freebsd - will their directories
> > and systems (primarily win95) still be visible to me.

> Linux has a smb filesystem so you can mount your friend's drives; it
> is my understanding that freebsd does not.  You will be able to act as
> a fileserver, however,  to win95 machines using the "samba" package.

When we say that FreeBSD has binary linux compatibility, whare are we
really saying? I'm asking this because smb won't run on FreeBSD, right?
but an ordinary linux program (shareware paintbrush program) will run?
Just a double-check - samba is free (ie. no $$ to spend, right?)

> > Finally, my setup is:

> > PII 266
> > 64MB EDO RAM
> > Matrox Millennium 4MB PCI
> > Quantum eide
> > 16x mitsumi cdrom

> > Intel PD440FX motherboard
> > Yamaha OPL3-SA3 sound card (built in motherboard), 16bit

> Sounds good... I don't know too much about that sound card, however.

Yeah, forget the sound card - I have been watching the newsgroup here
about the sound card.  Many people are having trouble with it and ready
to throw it out - unfortunately, it's in teh motherboard, so that's not
an options - darn.  Since my Xwin setup episode, I'm not sure about this
video card.  Hope it runs in 2.2.5.  Let me tell you about a curious
problem, though:

In WinNT, I can goto display properties, and change the resolution and
refresh rate, but for some reason, it stops at 81Hz (1600x1200), when
both the card and monitor are supposed to support 85Hz.  Why do you
suppose that?  WinNT can't be smart enough to realize a 'half-defective'
card, and limit how high i crank it up, can it? (maybe not your field)
it just seems crazy.  Matrox email support wasn't so good - they just
told me to raise the refresh rate - didn't reply when i sent in the mail
saying that it wouldnt' go up any more.... You see, in NT you don't edit
a file to change the refresh rate - instead, you just click up or down
in Hz dialog.... but didn't go past 81Hz.

Quote:> Matrox support is still relatively new.  The latest freebsd, of
> course, has the latest xfree86, and hence should be more likely to
> work better with the matrox card.  Still, a good old S3 card is likely
> to be less problematic.  There are commerical X servers available that
> support the matrox if you continue to have problems with xf86.  make
> sure you run the configure stuff for xf86!

Now, should I run XF86config or XF86setup ?  I saw a post about running
the 'setup' one... not sure now. I've always used config.  Any
suggestions?

I've been reasoning that if ONE person can get their Matrox Mill. 4MB to
work, then I should be able to get mine, too.  Why do some people have
problems, and other's don't? (stupid ques. just for fun)

Quote:> I think you're presenting yourself quite welll =).  Also keep in mind
> that there is a freebsd-questoins mailing list that would also be a
> suitable forum for such questions.  see the website.

> --sf

Thanks for your help. I found the address - will use it when I get up
and running... just a couple days and finals will be over!

Peter

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by stephen farrel » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> and it was easy to install?  You just chmod +x install.sh and typed
> "./install.sh" or something and then the GUI installation guide came up
> and was basically a clicking "OK" episode thereafter?  No additional
> problems? If so, that's great - you're really calming my fears.

Well, it's not graphical, but otherwise, yes.  In fact, the best way
to install it is using the ports collection.  When you install 2.2.5,
say "yes", you want ports.  Then you can just go to

        /usr/ports/www/netscape4-navigator

and type make all install (there is communicator too).  (oh--assuming
you have some kind of working network =)

Quote:> What do you mean 'optional' packages?  Is XFree considered an optional
> package?

Yeah, I think it is.  Other optional packages include xemacs, the
gimp, various window managers, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:> When we say that FreeBSD has binary linux compatibility, whare are we
> really saying? I'm asking this because smb won't run on FreeBSD, right?
> but an ordinary linux program (shareware paintbrush program) will run?
> Just a double-check - samba is free (ie. no $$ to spend, right?)

the smbfs is a kernel module for linux.  Like a driver in windows
world, or extension in mac world.  These are not compatible, while
user programs are.

samba is free.

Quote:> an options - darn.  Since my Xwin setup episode, I'm not sure about this
> video card.  Hope it runs in 2.2.5.  Let me tell you about a curious
> problem, though:

The matrox is supported with the latest xf86, and i think it is quite
stable.  however, it is not as fast as it could be.

Quote:> In WinNT, I can goto display properties, and change the resolution and
> refresh rate, but for some reason, it stops at 81Hz (1600x1200), when
> both the card and monitor are supposed to support 85Hz.  Why do you
> suppose that?  WinNT can't be smart enough to realize a 'half-defective'
> card, and limit how high i crank it up, can it? (maybe not your field)
> it just seems crazy.  Matrox email support wasn't so good - they just
> told me to raise the refresh rate - didn't reply when i sent in the mail
> saying that it wouldnt' go up any more.... You see, in NT you don't edit
> a file to change the refresh rate - instead, you just click up or down
> in Hz dialog.... but didn't go past 81Hz.

It's probably lying about the 81.  Does you monitor have a indicator
of the refresh speed?  Also, I bet that if you update the driver for
the monitor that it might get fixed; they might have messed up the
monitor's capabilities.

OTOH, 81 and 85 are both nice refresh rates and hardly
distinguishable... so just be happy.

Quote:> Now, should I run XF86config or XF86setup ?  I saw a post about running
> the 'setup' one... not sure now. I've always used config.  Any
> suggestions?

xf86config is that script which is a pain in the ass to work with.
You'll want to run XF86Setup, which does a graphical config in default
VGA mode.  If this works, you know you're doing ok.

Quote:> I've been reasoning that if ONE person can get their Matrox Mill. 4MB to
> work, then I should be able to get mine, too.  Why do some people have
> problems, and other's don't? (stupid ques. just for fun)

I've only run matrox under commercial X server.

--sf

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Louis Epste » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,
:
[...]

2.2.1 was the current release for only two months.

(Of course,I expect that two months from now,2.2.5 won't be the current
release either!)

: What would be the typical installation for a novice to get a nice system
: up and running if he doesn't want to spend money on anything but the
: original FreeBSD CDs?

And is unable to do an FTP install from current.freebsd.org
or ftp.freebsd.org so he doesn't even have to buy a CD?

: if somebody could, could you please go over what it basically takes to
: install software (like netscape for example) in Unix.  Windoze has
: installations down to typing setup.exe for everything, but is that the
: case with FreeBSD?

From the ports collection,with a net connection,just go to the proper
subdirectory and type "make install".

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Frank Pawl » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

> of the refresh speed?  Also, I bet that if you update the driver for
> the monitor that it might get fixed; they might have messed up the
> monitor's capabilities.

> OTOH, 81 and 85 are both nice refresh rates and hardly
> distinguishable... so just be happy.

>> Now, should I run XF86config or XF86setup ?  I saw a post about running
>> the 'setup' one... not sure now. I've always used config.  Any
>> suggestions?

> xf86config is that script which is a pain in the ass to work with.
> You'll want to run XF86Setup, which does a graphical config in default
> VGA mode.  If this works, you know you're doing ok.

>> I've been reasoning that if ONE person can get their Matrox Mill. 4MB to
>> work, then I should be able to get mine, too.  Why do some people have
>> problems, and other's don't? (stupid ques. just for fun)

> I've only run matrox under commercial X server.

I use the Matrox Millinum and it has excellent support under the current version of XF86.  Use XF86Setup and enter your monitor specs if known.  Don't bother with the detailed setup for the Matrox, as it is automatically detected.  Setting up X is not really a great mystry.  Once you start XF86Setup it's pretty much follow the instruction, use xvidtune to center the raster on you monitor and you are off and running.

Frank
--
"At no time is freedom of speech more precious than
when a man hits his thumb with a hammer"

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Peter Dosh » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I had many problems setting up XF86 (can't remember version - one that
was bundled on FreeBSD 2.2.1).  I used XF86config which I know now not
to use - might as well use XF86Setup.  Anyway, the curious thing is that
both my monitor and card (millennium 4mb - not mill II) support

beyond 81Hz at that resolution. Why not?  Defect in mill.? Defect in
Monitor? (both under warranty so good to know now), and could this
problem (which windoze got around, I guess you can say) have become a
big problem that didn't let me run Xwin (startx, after setting up
XF86config responded with a lot of text of all the modes and ended up
saying that it couldn't find an available video mode).

Also, in your post (quoted below) are you using XF86 3.3.1?  Is that
bundled with 2.2.5?

I'm a bit curious as to what resolution and refresh rate you run it at -
please let me know.  Also, did you edit the Xfree86 config file at all?

Thanks.
pd

> I use the Matrox Millinum and it has excellent support under the current version of XF86.  Use XF86Setup and enter your monitor specs if known.  Don't bother with the detailed setup for the Matrox, as it is automatically detected.  Setting up X is not really a great mystry.  Once you start XF86Setup it's pretty much follow the instruction, use xvidtune to center the raster on you monitor and you are off and running.

> Frank
> --
> "At no time is freedom of speech more precious than
> when a man hits his thumb with a hammer"
>         -- Marshall Lumsden

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Frank Pawl » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I had many problems setting up XF86 (can't remember version - one that
> was bundled on FreeBSD 2.2.1).  I used XF86config which I know now not
> to use - might as well use XF86Setup.  Anyway, the curious thing is that
> both my monitor and card (millennium 4mb - not mill II) support

> beyond 81Hz at that resolution. Why not?  Defect in mill.? Defect in
> Monitor? (both under warranty so good to know now), and could this
> problem (which windoze got around, I guess you can say) have become a
> big problem that didn't let me run Xwin (startx, after setting up
> XF86config responded with a lot of text of all the modes and ended up
> saying that it couldn't find an available video mode).

> Also, in your post (quoted below) are you using XF86 3.3.1?  Is that
> bundled with 2.2.5?

Yes XF86 3.3.1 is what I'm using.
Quote:

> I'm a bit curious as to what resolution and refresh rate you run it at -
> please let me know.  Also, did you edit the Xfree86 config file at all?

Resolution and refresh rate depend on what your monitor can handle.  You can make some quesstimate on this, but there is a remote possibility that you can fry your monitor if you quess wrong.  Will need more detail to help here.
Frank

--
"At no time is freedom of speech more precious than
when a man hits his thumb with a hammer"
        -- Marshall Lumsden

install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

Post by Frank Pawl » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I had many problems setting up XF86 (can't remember version - one that
> was bundled on FreeBSD 2.2.1).  I used XF86config which I know now not
> to use - might as well use XF86Setup.  Anyway, the curious thing is that
> both my monitor and card (millennium 4mb - not mill II) support

> beyond 81Hz at that resolution. Why not?  Defect in mill.? Defect in
> Monitor? (both under warranty so good to know now), and could this
> problem (which windoze got around, I guess you can say) have become a
> big problem that didn't let me run Xwin (startx, after setting up
> XF86config responded with a lot of text of all the modes and ended up
> saying that it couldn't find an available video mode).

> Also, in your post (quoted below) are you using XF86 3.3.1?  Is that
> bundled with 2.2.5?

> I'm a bit curious as to what resolution and refresh rate you run it at -
> please let me know.  Also, did you edit the Xfree86 config file at all?

Sorry for the re-post.  I'm using a Samsung 17DLi at 1280x1024 at 75Hz.
Frank

--

Post by i.. » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> was bundled on FreeBSD 2.2.1).  I used XF86config which I know now not
> to use - might as well use XF86Setup.  Anyway, the curious thing is that
> both my monitor and card (millennium 4mb - not mill II) support

> beyond 81Hz at that resolution. Why not?  Defect in mill.? Defect in
> Monitor? (both under warranty so good to know now), and could this
> Also, in your post (quoted below) are you using XF86 3.3.1?  Is that
> bundled with 2.2.5?

I really use Matrox milennium 4mb in XFree 3.3.1
and FreeBSD 2.2.5 in 1600x1200.

FYI, vertical frequence is *not* paramether limited by monitor.
Monitor realy limited only horizontal freq (100KHz in my case
Nokia 445), but when you select more strings you give less
vertical freq :-(