SunOS 4.1 as NIS client

Post by Mehul Dholaki » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi.

I have a FreeBSD based machine running as an NIS server.
I am able to setup other FreeBSD running machines as NIS
clients, however when I try to setup an old Sun 3/80
running SunOS 4.1.1, I am unable to login using my NIS
account. However after I login (using a local account) I am
able to use yp utilities like ypmatch/ ypcat.

The man pages do mention about ypserv not supporting NIS v1
queries. Does this have anything to do with the problem I am
seeing. I am running the ypserv program with the kludge (-k)
option as directed by the man pages.

Any suggestions ?

Thanx in advance
Mehul

1. NIS,NIS+ on SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7         8
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

Hello, all.

I have a Sparc 4/20 running SunOS 4.1.4, an Auspex enterprise file server
running its own modified SunOS 4.1.3x, a Sun 690 with Solaris 2.5, and
an UltraSparc 2 and a handful of Intel boxen running Solaris 2.6.

Currently, my 4/20 is the main RADIUS/user server.  We are currently
running no form of NIS.  The 4/20 is pretty overloaded, as the former
"sysadmin" believed in minimal effort, was scared of the Auspex, and
didn't know how to do things the right way.  He piled a bunch of services
onto this thing, and consequently, it's not very stable.

I'm trying to bring some of these other boxen in to take over services
currently being performed by the 4/20, which will allow me to eventually
take it offline long enough to nuke it and stick Solaris 2.6 on it.
However, I'm obviously going to need to do some sort of centalized
management such as NIS/NIS+, which I've not used before.

I've been downloading whitepapers left and right, and have persuaded my
boss to order some of the 2.6 documentation for me (I have the 4.1.4
books already), and have the O'Reilly _Managing NFS and NIS_ book, so
I've got plenty of reading, but I don't have anything currently that
really goes into detail about NIS+.

What is my best option here?  I'd prefer to go with NIS+, if I have to
do this at all, in order to keep things as secure as possible, but from
what I know, since I have the two 4.1.x boxen I can't do that.

How hard is it going to be to transfer the current password files off
of the 4.1.4 box into an NIS master?  Is there any reading material out
there that can help me gain some insight into this godawful mess I'm
about to plow into?

Thanks in advance; if you email me your responses, I'll compile the results
and post them here.

--

Chief Systems Administrator
Premier1 Internet Services

2. Redhat 6.2 Beta

3. SunOS 4.1.X NIS+ binary problems

4. anybody actually tried 386 w 2 M as x-terminal?

5. SunOS 4.1.3C NIS/DNS problems

6. Radio Cards?

7. Password aging with NIS under SunOS 4.1.x

8. Harddrive problem- Please help

9. Need help setting NIS+ replica on SunOS 4.1.x

10. Problem with NIS group map on Sunos 4.1.x

11. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.

12. NIS on 2.x, clients on 4.1.x

13. Changing passwords from 4.1.x client on Sol 2 server running NIS+