Need a way to get around limits to boot a 'far away' partition

Need a way to get around limits to boot a 'far away' partition

Post by Carl Weidlin » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

        Hi, I'm a linux user but I want to give FreeBSD a try.  Here's
my problem.  My old computer system was getting antiquated and I
bought a new motherboard/case/etc and put together a more uptodate
system.  I figured I'd install FreeBSD on my old system for
experiment.  I have a couple of ethernet cards so I could network it
to my new system.  However, the old hard drive gave up the ghost and I
bought a new 3.3 Gig drive to replace it which the BIOS on the old
system can't cope with.  Oh, it can boot into DOS if you have a small
enough initial partition, and that's good enough for running linux
because then I can boot into a linux installation out on the far
partitions with loadlin.
        However, when I tried installing FreeBSD, it wanted to put in
it's own bootloader and it doesn't work.  I know the problem is the
incompatibility of the hard drive with the old BIOS because, as an
experiment, I hooked the drive up into my newer system and there BSD
boot manager did work.  Possibly, if I put FreeBSD on the first
partition, or just dedicated the whole drive to FreeBSD it would work,
but I haven't tried it because I want to keep DOS/Windows 3.1 (yeah,
that's how old the system is, no Windows 95+ on it) on that 1st
partition because my daughter likes to play and use certain dos and
windows games and utilities.  (I should knuckle down and try to get
dosemu and WINE working, but there's so many things ahead of that in
the queue).  And anyway, I want to try out and gradually familiarize
myself with FreeBSD before going whole hog and buying or dedicating
hardware just to cater to its whims.
        My thought was to find a loadlin equivalent for FreeBSD.
Someone mentioned fbsdboot.exe and I've tried using it.  I ran
fbsdboot -? to learn what it can do and I copied a kernel from a cdrom
to the dos partition and tried it out, but it seems like it's only
geared to doing installations, not the general purpose tool that
loadlin is.  (I happen to like loadlin a lot.)
        Is there an incantation of fbsdboot that would do what I want?
Or some other solution (besides getting a new motherboard)?
TIA
Carl Weidling

=============
Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address

Need a way to get around limits to boot a 'far away' partition

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Can you put the 3.3GB geometry into the bios?  If so, just set aside
about 30MB below the 1024th cylinder for the FreeBSD's root partition.
This would allow your BIOS to boot dos or get the FreeBSD kernel
loaded.  When you're finished, you will have three partitions on the
drive.  First would be your win3.1/dos partition, second would be
FreeBSD root partition.  Both of these would be below the 1024th
cylinder.  The third would span the rest of the disk, and would contain
/usr, /var, etc.

- K.C.

>         Hi, I'm a linux user but I want to give FreeBSD a try.  Here's
> my problem.  My old computer system was getting antiquated and I
> bought a new motherboard/case/etc and put together a more uptodate
> system.  I figured I'd install FreeBSD on my old system for
> experiment.  I have a couple of ethernet cards so I could network it
> to my new system.  However, the old hard drive gave up the ghost and I
> bought a new 3.3 Gig drive to replace it which the BIOS on the old
> system can't cope with.  Oh, it can boot into DOS if you have a small
> enough initial partition, and that's good enough for running linux
> because then I can boot into a linux installation out on the far
> partitions with loadlin.
>         However, when I tried installing FreeBSD, it wanted to put in
> it's own bootloader and it doesn't work.  I know the problem is the
> incompatibility of the hard drive with the old BIOS because, as an
> experiment, I hooked the drive up into my newer system and there BSD
> boot manager did work.  Possibly, if I put FreeBSD on the first
> partition, or just dedicated the whole drive to FreeBSD it would work,
> but I haven't tried it because I want to keep DOS/Windows 3.1 (yeah,
> that's how old the system is, no Windows 95+ on it) on that 1st
> partition because my daughter likes to play and use certain dos and
> windows games and utilities.  (I should knuckle down and try to get
> dosemu and WINE working, but there's so many things ahead of that in
> the queue).  And anyway, I want to try out and gradually familiarize
> myself with FreeBSD before going whole hog and buying or dedicating
> hardware just to cater to its whims.
>         My thought was to find a loadlin equivalent for FreeBSD.
> Someone mentioned fbsdboot.exe and I've tried using it.  I ran
> fbsdboot -? to learn what it can do and I copied a kernel from a cdrom
> to the dos partition and tried it out, but it seems like it's only
> geared to doing installations, not the general purpose tool that
> loadlin is.  (I happen to like loadlin a lot.)
>         Is there an incantation of fbsdboot that would do what I want?
> Or some other solution (besides getting a new motherboard)?
> TIA
> Carl Weidling

> =============
> Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address

Need a way to get around limits to boot a 'far away' partition

Post by H. Ecke » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I ran fbsdboot -? to learn what it can do and I copied a kernel from
> a cdrom to the dos partition and tried it out, but it seems like it's
> only geared to doing installations, not the general purpose tool that
> loadlin is.  (I happen to like loadlin a lot.)

This is a matter of the kernel and from where you're booting.  The
install disk contains a generic kernel which gives the install message
(configure hardware with/without visual mode or skip) by default.
Use this one to get the system up and running and once you've got that
build you customized kernel and copy that one to the DOS partition.

Greetings,
                                Ripley
--
http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
==

1. webhosting.com - stay away... far far away

i made a big mistake hosting with webhosting.com

they do not respond to support and don't know what they are doing. i've
tried everything with them. i havn't heard anything from them in over a
week (they claim 48 hour response). i've even escalated to the
president, three times, and still heard nothing. their 'live support'
feature is a fraud. it is NEVER staffed.

stay away from webhosting.com

i'd love to hear from others with similar experience. they've cost me a
lot of time and money and i intend to get it back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Netstat Problems

3. HELP: modem won't hangup

4. Long ago, in a partition far, far away...

5. Ghost Users

6. I've tried several ways, but..can't get booted "correctly"

7. Oracle ProC Programming with Forte Developer 6

8. IBM Far & Away card - was: Re: Red Hat's sick sense of humor (support)

9. Newbie: "Linux has come so far only to seem so far away"

10. 504 MG BIOS Boot Limit, getting around?

11. Can't boot lilo, getting 'Press a Key to Reboot'

12. Need clarification: what really is 'MBR' and what is 'BOOT SECTOR'?