xcdplayer "No Disc" with IDE CD-ROM

Post by Andrew J. Cain » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am having problems with xcdplayer 2.20 (package shipped with FreeBSD
2.2.2-RELEASE).

I recently installed an IDE CD-ROM drive (Toshiba 16X) having previously
used an external SCSI CD-ROM drive (Plextor). With the SCSI drive, I
successfully recorded the titles of almost all my CD collection and they
would pop up in the window each time I loaded a new CD.

Now I am using the IDE CD-ROM drive (xcdplayer -device /dev/wcd0c), when I
load a CD, the highlight goes from the eject button to the stop button (as
it should), bu instead of the title of my CD appearing, "No Disc" remains.

I can save titles while using the IDE CD-ROM, but although they then appear
when using the SCSI CD-ROM, they still don't appear when reloaded with the
IDE CD-ROM.

While the disk is being loaded, the program writes to STDERR the following:

        ioctl(cdromreadtochdr): : Input/output error

This stops as soon as the CD has been scanned and does not occur again
while the CD is being played, only when a new CD is being scanned.

Any ideas, fixes, suggestions?

  -Andrew J. Caines-                       Tracer Technologies, Inc.

  tel. (301) 731-2002                      Lanham, MD 20706-4871
  fax. (301) 459-6487                      www.tracertech.com
I charge a $500 proofreading fee for each item of unsolicited email I
receive, payable within one month of receipt. Please include a valid email
address, telephone number and full postal address in all messages. There
is a $50 search fee if this information is invalid or absent.

1. xcdplayer "No Disc" with IDE CD-ROM

[...]

2. Colorado - Denver - UNIX Sys Admin needed Now

3. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

4. Find path of file in UNIX

5. CONCLUSION to "Suggestions needed to setup from an IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM"

6. News server under Linux: inn-2.2

7. ide-scsi detecting CDR as "CD-ROM" in 2.2.19

8. Hiding last login?

10. CONCLUSION to "Suggestions needed to setup from an IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM"

11. Sanyo 3-Disk ("Jukebox") CD-Rom

12. CD-ROM detected as id "sr0" during boot disk installation

13. E250 internal disks: "Sun" disk vs "generic" Seagate disk