RealAudio: Can't find shared library "libc.so.2.2"

RealAudio: Can't find shared library "libc.so.2.2"

Post by Stephane Raimbaul » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to get RealAudio working on my FreeBSD 3.1-Release running
XFree86 and KDE.

I have downloaded the RealAudio Player 3.0 for FreeBSD (dynamic).
however when I run "./raplayer welcome.ra" I get the following error
message: "ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libc.so.2.2""

Upon furter investigation I do not have that libc.so file, however I do
have the following libc.so files:

/usr/lib/compat/aout/libc.so.3.0
/usr/lib/compat/aout/libc.so.3.1
/usr/lib/libc.so.3

can I simply ln to one of these to resolve the problem?  How would
I accomplish this task?

Also, I noticed that when asked which version to download from Real, it
had FreeBSD (Static) and FreeBSD (Dynamic).  What's the difference?

Thank you for your time,
Stephane R.

RealAudio: Can't find shared library "libc.so.2.2"

Post by Stephane Raimbaul » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I have played a little with this and I think I have made some
progress.

I noticed a port in /usr/ports/audio/ for the linux version of Real
Player 5.0.  I also installed the LINUX libraries and they seem to
enabled.  After installing from the port all seems good.

I am able to start the player also.  However, here is the problem.

It would seem any clip I try to play (all from the INet) I get a message
to upgrade my player.  I am thinking that I have the latest version
(5.0.0.45) and I was wondering if there was a clip someone knew that
worked with this player.

I am thinking there is a problem with something... but would like to
sample a clip that is supposed to work with the version that I have.

Thank you for your time,
Stephane R.

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Also, I noticed that when asked which version to download from Real, it
> had FreeBSD (Static) and FreeBSD (Dynamic).  What's the difference?

Dynamic means that the executable needs to be linked at runtime against
some system libraries.  This results in a smaller binary but has the
drawback of being dependent on the outside lib.  A static binary has
everything necessary linked into the binary.  The result:  a larger
binary but no dependence on outside libs.  You have two options at your
disposal:

1.  Install the static version.
2.  Install the 2.1 compatibility tar ball from your FreeBSD
distribution.  It contains the libc.so.2.2 library.

If you chose option 2, don't forget to run "ldconfig -m" as root.

- K.C.

Post by Karel J. Bosschaar » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> It would seem any clip I try to play (all from the INet) I get a message
> to upgrade my player.  I am thinking that I have the latest version
> (5.0.0.45) and I was wondering if there was a clip someone knew that
> worked with this player.

> I am thinking there is a problem with something... but would like to
> sample a clip that is supposed to work with the version that I have.

I think that it is meant to upgrade to the G2 Real player, but there's
no linux version of it :-(((.
Karel.

1. "Can't find shared library 'libc.so.3.0'"

This problem cropped up out of the blue, and a back-up and
re-install did not fix it.

I have (had) a working-perfectly 2.1.0R installation of
FreeBSD, with which I was greatly pleased.  Apache, uemacs.
bash, etc. (even "unknown" Netscape).  In my usual fashion, I
began playing around with configurations, fouled some things up
pretty good, and what-the-heck, nothing crucial is running, so
I just went ahead and reinstalled.

Apache, popper, popclient, and uemacs now claim that
libc.so.3.0 cannot be found.  This does not seem surprising,
since libc.so.2.2.0 is the version in residence, and has been
all along.

Is there a libc.so.3.0? That would seem to be the easiest way
to fix things, even assuming that the error should not be
happening in the first place.  ldconfig seems to be doing its
job.

I have no idea.  Whatsoever.  And really, I'm not as stupid as
this sounds.

2. Installing RH5.1 on SMP box

3. Slackware 2.2: "ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'

4. Redirect Netsite Log files to stdout or a program?

5. Perl5 error: ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libnet.so.0.92"

6. Anyone using nvi on Solaris 2.4?

7. ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXmu.so.6.0"

8. Help with TCP and PPP problem

9. Netscape Navigator - ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXt.so.6.0"

10. Help: "tcsh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'" ??

11. Help: ppp Can't find shared library "libdes.so.3.0"

12. /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found

13. STARTX: "No Screens Found"/"Can't find Display"