Adaptec 2840 - panics

Post by hod.. » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hey all!

I just got an Adaptec 2840VL (local bus), and put it on my
486DX4/100 for tape backup.  Unfortunately, I keep getting
the error message "panic: ahcintr: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB
that does nothave a waiting message."  There was no space
in "nothave" in case you were wondering...

I am running off 2.1 GA, and tried using the aic7xxx files dated
Jan 11, 1996, but with the same result.  Also removed my NE2100
card (thinking DMA conflict), without change.  Now have NE2000
and EGA/CGA monitor card, ISA (16-bit) IDE/COM/LPT card, and
the Conner 850 IDE drive.  Unplugging the SCSI tape (4mm WangDAT)
did not change anything.  No other SCSI devices.  Tried changing
card settings (bios on/off, different ports, different IRQs).

Before I spend some serious time absorbing the driver code, would
anyone have any suggestions?  I may just chuck the card before
spending (wasting?) too much time on this :-(

Thanks to all, and especially the FreeBSD team.  This has to be
one of the finest software productions I've seen in 15 years as
user and programmer.

Best regards,
-Richard Hodges

Adaptec 2840 - panics

Post by Peter Schwen » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am using a 2842 (a 2840 with a floppy port) without incident, without
tape drives (one HD only).  Are you sure everything's okay
with termination, etc?  Do you have the card in a bus-mastering enabled
socket?  You don't need the BIOS enabled if you aren't using the card
with a hard disk.  Are you sure you don't have any conflicts with the
I/O addresses?

> Hey all!

> I just got an Adaptec 2840VL (local bus), and put it on my
> 486DX4/100 for tape backup.  Unfortunately, I keep getting
> the error message "panic: ahcintr: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB
> that does nothave a waiting message."  There was no space
> in "nothave" in case you were wondering...

[deleted rest of message]

--
- Peter Schwenk, Academic Computing, West Chester University of
Pennsylvania

Adaptec 2840 - panics

Post by rich.. » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using a 2842 (a 2840 with a floppy port) without incident, without
>tape drives (one HD only).  Are you sure everything's okay
>with termination, etc?  Do you have the card in a bus-mastering enabled
>socket?  You don't need the BIOS enabled if you aren't using the card
>with a hard disk.  Are you sure you don't have any conflicts with the
>I/O addresses?

I'm sure the termination is ok, and tried the card in all VLB slots,
especially the bus-master slot.  I tried a few of the many (16?) I/O
addresses, with no change.  All the addresses are pretty high, anyway
(over $1000).  After giving up on the 2.1 CDROM drivers, I tried the
latest aic7770 drivers, with slightly different error messages.

One fellow suggested that I try different wait states, etc. on the
motherboard, but nothing changed....

Argh!  Thanks anyway for the reply.

-Richard

1. adaptec 2840 vlb

newbie question...
    i cant seem to get v2.2.2 to recognize my vlb scsi card even though the
documentation says it is supported.
 i'm loading from a floppy and cant get past the kernel config because it
can't find any storage devices.  the only place in setup that the 2840
(ahc0) appears is in the PCI section of the active drivers... they are not
configurable....

any help or guidance would be appreciated...

2. Telnet service on different TCP/IP port?

3. Adaptec 2840 Card

4. Mailing webpage from StarOffice browser

5. Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support

6. Open GL stereo busted on 2.6 creator

7. Problem with Adaptec 2840 & CDROM

8. UDMA66 ?

9. Linux and Adaptec 2840/2842

10. Adaptec 2840 / Is spin-down possible.

11. Adaptec 2840 SCSI card BIOS32 not installed error

12. PCI SCSI ADAPTEC 2840 [help]

13. Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support