ctwm generates network traffic?

Post by Jens Schweikhard » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Following up my own posting:

> hello, world\n
> this is really driving me nuts: whenever I start X11 and ctwm
> takes over, my machine sends something out my ed0 ethernet interface.
> (which leads to an automatic dial out on the router, ugh).
> I've changed ctwm to twm and this did not happen, so I'm
> reasonably sure it's ctwm. I also looked at ed0 with tcpdump,
> but it shows no tcp or icmp packets. So UDP remains...
> I'm suspecting some nameservice lookups.
> When I unplug the wire the blue/red ctwm picture is displayed
> about 5 seconds later than with a working network connection.

I solved it: ctwm by default runs m4 on .ctwmrc. It defines
several macros, among them HOSTNAME, CLIENTHOSTNAME and SERVERHOST.
To get the values of these a nameservice lookup is done. With
/etc/host.conf saying "hosts\nbind" and the right /etc/hosts
entries for my machine the ns lookups no longer ask a remote ns.

Regards,

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.shuttle.de/schweikh/

Post by Dom Mitchel » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I really like the fact that ctwm runs m4, since it lets you use nice
> little macros for the sizing of things so they look pretty much the same
> on all resolutions.  Cool feature. :)

It's also very cool for getting your menus set up correctly.  Instead
of having to adjust every single menu entry for a machine (say) when
you switch from telnet to ssh, you can just change one macro, and
reload the file.  Magic!
--
Dom Mitchell          -- Palmer & Harvey McLane

1. Using IPFilter to NAT Locally-Generated Traffic

Hello,

I am looking for a NAT solution for Solaris 8 that is equivalent to
what the OUTPUT section of iptables provides for Linux.  My goal is to
trick some network monitoring applications on a Solaris server into
thinking that they have local access NATed devices that sit on provate
networks.  To do this, I need to be able to NAT the destination
address on packets that this application generates from the true
private address to the routable NAT address before it leaves the
server itself.

Everything I have read has pointed to IPFilter as the NAT solution of
choice for Solaris but I do not see how I can create the traffic flow
I am looking for.  If IPFilter can do this for me, how do I configure
it properly?

2. spin_lock questions

3. rcp, ftp, NFS: which generates least IP traffic?

4. perl patchlevel 37 on AIX 3.1

5. Generating traffic at a specified bitrate

6. garbage when i leave x...

7. IPX traffic generating tool for Linux

8. problem with network card RTL8019

9. How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)

10. Generating LAN Traffic

11. Traffic generating software

12. HELP: How to generate a CBR traffic?

13. Tools for generating IP-traffic ?