NT Applications and FreeBSD

Post by rjgd.. » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:33:38

I have an NT server and 2 FreeBSD servers.  I would like to convert the
NT server into a FreeBSD server but I need to be able to run the NT
applications on the FreeBSD server as well as have users on my network
run the NT applications from this server.  Is it just a dream or is
there a reliable way to install FreeBSD and still run the NT apps?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Rasput » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I have an NT server and 2 FreeBSD servers.  I would like to convert the
>NT server into a FreeBSD server but I need to be able to run the NT
>applications on the FreeBSD server as well as have users on my network
>run the NT applications from this server.  Is it just a dream or is
>there a reliable way to install FreeBSD and still run the NT apps?

Well , you could have a look at wine, but this really beggars the
question :

"Why do you want to run FreeBSd at all, if you're just going to
run NT stuff on it?"

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

NT Applications and FreeBSD

Post by rjgd.. » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

1) Security
2) Stability
3) License costs

> >I have an NT server and 2 FreeBSD servers.  I would like to convert
the
> >NT server into a FreeBSD server but I need to be able to run the NT
> >applications on the FreeBSD server as well as have users on my
network
> >run the NT applications from this server.  Is it just a dream or is
> >there a reliable way to install FreeBSD and still run the NT apps?

> Well , you could have a look at wine, but this really beggars the
> question :

> "Why do you want to run FreeBSd at all, if you're just going to
> run NT stuff on it?"

> --

> Rasputin.
> Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NT Applications and FreeBSD

Post by Andre L. P. Gigna » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Which NT applications are you concerned with?

Andre Gignac
Director of Software Development
Globally Integrated Solutions Inc.

http://www.globallyintegrated.com

  andre.vcf
< 1K Download

NT Applications and FreeBSD

Post by rjgd.. » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

One of the major apps is the Kronos Timekeeper Central package with
handles all of our time and attendance.

Quote:> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

====

Post by Ben Speir » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> One of the major apps is the Kronos Timekeeper Central package with
> handles all of our time and attendance.

There are a handful of us FreeBSD-ers that are running Wine with a few
Windows applications fairly successfully.  I would almost be willing to
bet that the Kronos software will run at least at 95% capability.
Probably nobody else has tried, although you might check Deja just in
case.

The only thing that might keep you from doing it would be licenses.  How
are they configured?  Does the software use some sort of NIC config, or
dongle that plugs in to the parallel port?  If yes, than you might have
some difficulty getting everything to work.

I would have to agree with some of the comments before.  Why change if
it is working right now?  This sounds like a mission critical
application.  If you manage to get it up and running with FreeBSD and
Wine it would be very cool but a little risky.  If anything goes wrong
(data corruption, etc..) I don't think Kronos would bother giving you
any support.**  As soon as they found out that you are using it in an
environment they don't support and have not certified, they will leave
you*.  Even if the problems come from their sloppy programing
written to conform to Microsoft's buggy NT platform, but as soon as they
see an escape hatch they will bail and leave you with the sinking ship.
Anything to save them from spending tech. support resources.

Anyway, if you don't mind taking a little risk and are willing to spend
a little time setting things up (AKA - crazy enough) I say, go for it!
I would be curious to hear about your progress.

--
-Ben Speirs (Who has spent too many 10+ hour days in front of the
company's  NT

** Kronos is probably a great company with good Tech support, Quality
programming, etc.  This Rant is just a general complaint about the state
of affairs.

Post by jw » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 > 1) Security
With a little effort and know how you can get a NT box rather secure, and if
security was your primary concern you would be talking about OpenBSD not
FreeBSD.

 > 2) Stability

I'll give you FreeBSD is more stable than NT 4.0 all day.  Will your NT app
be stable running with wine on FreeBSD?  Doubtful.  If you check out
www.winehq.com you will see this little tidbit "Wine is still under
development, and is not suitable for general use."  Also if ANYTHING ever
goes wrong (and something always does) it will be your fault for running a
Windows app on a "free" OS with an alpha windows emulator.  I doubt I would
do this were I work.

 > 3) License costs

If you are already running windows you already have the license right?  How
does this save money?

 IMHO: sounds cool, but a bad idea if you like your job.

 jw

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Novis UNIX user's question

3. AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

4. setuid..How long more in Solaris

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Reducing Application Startup Time

7. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.

8. Tyan 1832DL BX chipset, SCSI, floppy, kernel-2.34/5 problems

9. NT and FreeBSD: nt loader problem

10. Which FreeBsd boot sector to use (Dual booting NT/FreeBSD) ?

11. NT applications under Solaris?

12. Help for Porting Application from Unix To Windows NT !!

13. Cox Report Whopper: Linux an NT application!