ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!

ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!

Post by Michael Josefss » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

What's going on?! I recently downloaded some packages but almost none of them
worked but gave "ELF interpreter ls-elf.so.1 not found" error message!

I have tried them on 2.2.2/2.2.5/2.2.6 and 3.0-SNAP(from August) -  all fail.

Doing a normal make in /usr/ports gets them running OK though.

Hints anyone?

/Micke

Post by ab.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

# What's going on?! I recently downloaded some packages but almost none of them
# worked but gave "ELF interpreter ls-elf.so.1 not found" error message!

# I have tried them on 2.2.2/2.2.5/2.2.6 and 3.0-SNAP(from August) -  all fail.

# Doing a normal make in /usr/ports gets them running OK though.

# Hints anyone?

Sure. You've made a mistake of downloading an ELF version of the package,
while still running a.out system. Get the a.out version which your system
is able to understand.

Beginning with 3.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD will use ELF binary format by default,
though the a.out compatibility is also provided. That's why the packages for
3.0-R are being built in ELF format.

--

Andrzej Bialecki

--------------------   ++-------++  -------------------------------------

 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
--------------------   ~-+==---+-+  -------------------------------------

ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!

Post by Michael Josefss » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>Subject: Re: ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!
>Date: 14 Oct 1998 12:19:34 GMT

># What's going on?! I recently downloaded some packages but almost none of them
># worked but gave "ELF interpreter ls-elf.so.1 not found" error message!
># I have tried them on 2.2.2/2.2.5/2.2.6 and 3.0-SNAP(from August) -  all fail.
># Doing a normal make in /usr/ports gets them running OK though.
># Hints anyone?
>Sure. You've made a mistake of downloading an ELF version of the package,
>while still running a.out system. Get the a.out version which your system
>is able to understand.
>Beginning with 3.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD will use ELF binary format by default,
>though the a.out compatibility is also provided. That's why the packages for
>3.0-R are being built in ELF format.
>--
>Andrzej Bialecki

Ahh, I suspected something like that... How do I persuade /stand/sysinstall
to use the a.out ones? I have now seen a packages and a packages-a.out
directory on ftp.freebsd.org, but where do I tell sysinstall to use the right
one?

...or how do I make older systems to run the ld-elf-thingy?

Still perplexed...
/Micke

>--------------------   ++-------++  -------------------------------------

> Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
> Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
>--------------------   ~-+==---+-+  -------------------------------------

ELF interpreter ld-elf.so.1 not found????!!

Post by ab.. » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

#>Sure. You've made a mistake of downloading an ELF version of the package,
#>while still running a.out system. Get the a.out version which your system
#>is able to understand.

#>Beginning with 3.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD will use ELF binary format by default,
#>though the a.out compatibility is also provided. That's why the packages for
#>3.0-R are being built in ELF format.

# Ahh, I suspected something like that... How do I persuade /stand/sysinstall
# to use the a.out ones? I have now seen a packages and a packages-a.out
# directory on ftp.freebsd.org, but where do I tell sysinstall to use the right
# one?

Probably you can't - you should stick with packages appropriate for the
version of your system, i.e. packages-2.2.7.

# ...or how do I make older systems to run the ld-elf-thingy?

You can't, without upgrading your whole system (either by reinstall or by
cvsup'ping fresh source tree and doing 'make aout-to-elf-world'.

--

Andrzej Bialecki

--------------------   ++-------++  -------------------------------------

 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
--------------------   ~-+==---+-+  -------------------------------------

1. System wont boot : ld-elf.so.1 not found

I am a BSD newbie and have been trying to get Netscape working on BSD 4.3,
I was receiving error messages re the ld.so file.
I found a web site that had 2 files to fix the problem,  ld.so.hints and
ld-elf.so.hints.

There were no instructions on how to impliment these files so I 'assumed' I
would just replace my existing ones with these.
I saved my existing ld.so and ld-elf.so.1 files first, did the replace and
rebooted.

Now I cant get a login prompt, only a message saying ld-elf-so.1 is not
found and a screen of continually scrolling errors as follows:

"init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv1, sleeping 30 secs."

This message continues forever with only the tty device number changing.

Is there some way I can break back into this box and reinstate the two
files? I have spent a whole day loading and configuring software and dont
want to go back to scratch if possible.

I have installed apache, mod_ssl, php and mysql and have them loading on
bootup if this is of any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

John (I should have stuck to SCO Unix) Clarke

2. Remote Printing

3. ld-elf.so.1: Shared Object "libkrb.so.3" not found

4. Dynamic Mirror and mod_rewrite

5. ld-elf.so.1 not found 8-(

6. More Gentoo help needed

7. ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgiconv.so.2" not found

8. Module unload race with devfs + char devices

9. ld-elf.so.1 shared object ____ not found

10. ELF interpreter not found!!!!

11. ELF interpreter not found

12. ELF interpreter not found in 3.1

13. KDE Failes to find '__ti6QFrame' in 'ld-elf.so.1' on FreeBSD