freebsd and cardbus

Post by Ron Mille » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:20:37

i tried to install fbsd 4.5 on my dell latitude cpx with the following
network device:

3CCFE575CT-D1 --> didn't see the device, found no dev. in LINT
then i tried:
3C3FEM656C    --> "

is fbsd in general not supporting cardbus? anyone an idea how i could
get that to work?

ron

freebsd and cardbus

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:19:52

> is fbsd in general not supporting cardbus? anyone an idea how i could
> get that to work?

to the best of my knowledge, support for Cardbus exists (and works) in
-CURRENT, but has not been ported back to -STABLE.  A few Cardbus
cards seem to already be supported by the pcic code, but that doesn't
cover full functionality anyway.

Running -CURRENT is not generally for the neophyte, but there seem to
be a number of people doing it just for the Cardbus support.

freebsd and cardbus

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:28:55

> i tried to install fbsd 4.5 on my dell latitude cpx with the following
> network device:
> 3CCFE575CT-D1 --> didn't see the device, found no dev. in LINT
> then i tried:
> 3C3FEM656C    --> "
> is fbsd in general not supporting cardbus? anyone an idea how i could
> get that to work?

FreeBSD-STABLE does not yet support Cardbus.  But there's three things
you can do:

 - Run -CURRENT (not for the faint of heart)
 - MFC it, and do Warner a favour ;-)
 - Wait for someone else to MFC it

Alternatively, you could also install NetBSD or OpenBSD while waiting on
FreeBSD-STABLE.  My laptop is also a cardbus-beastie, and it runs
-CURRENT and NetBSD without a hitch!

If you're up for a challenge, I warmly recommend it.  Given the
stability of the cardbus stuff in -CURRENT at the moment, I don't think
you'll have to wait too long for it to be merged with -STABLE...

 - Philip

--

  An expert is one who knows more and more about less
  and less until he knows absolutely everything

freebsd and cardbus

Post by AMR » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:29:33

4.5 doesn't support cardbus - I found out the hard way too

Quote:> i tried to install fbsd 4.5 on my dell latitude cpx with the following
> network device:

> 3CCFE575CT-D1 --> didn't see the device, found no dev. in LINT
> then i tried:
> 3C3FEM656C    --> "

> is fbsd in general not supporting cardbus? anyone an idea how i could
> get that to work?

> ron

freebsd and cardbus

Post by Michel TALO » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:32:58

: If you're up for a challenge, I warmly recommend it.  Given the
: stability of the cardbus stuff in -CURRENT at the moment, I don't think
: you'll have to wait too long for it to be merged with -STABLE...

On the contrary, it seems that W. Losh has no time to port it back to
STABLE, so that it will never been done, before the appearance
of the 5.0-STABLE.

--

Michel TALON

freebsd and cardbus

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:30:39

> : If you're up for a challenge, I warmly recommend it.  Given the
> : stability of the cardbus stuff in -CURRENT at the moment, I don't think
> : you'll have to wait too long for it to be merged with -STABLE...
> On the contrary, it seems that W. Losh has no time to port it back to
> STABLE, so that it will never been done, before the appearance
> of the 5.0-STABLE.

So he said on the -stable list a while back, but I'm sure there's other
kind souls out there willing to port it ;-)  mmm, I should really try
it, at some point.  Where did I put my laptop? ;-)

 - Philip

--

  Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

1. PCI-2-Cardbus bridge, Kernel PCMCIA services and Cardbus

Hi people,

I have a strange problem with virtually all 2.4 kernels,
(tried 2.4.18 to 2.4.20-rc1). I'm developing a driver
for a wireless card for our customer. Since it's a Cardbus
wireless card and my dev machine is a desktop, I'm using
a Ricoh 5c475 based PCI-2-Cardbus bridge.

My problem is that the yenta_socket.o driver (or pcmcia_core.o)
indeed create  Cardbus bus with my device on it, but the BAR's
are all messed up. I get negative len ranges on the MMIO addresses
(0xE7010000 - 0xE7003FFF).

I'm not sure this is a problem in the Kernel PCMCIA drivers, because
even with them not loaded, the Ricoh device (Cardbus bridge) contains
weird bridge resources (offset 0x1C and forward in the PCI
config space headertype 0x02). This doesn't happen only with my
customers wireless card, but with one another different vendors wireless
card too.

I've even tried Alan Cox' 2.4.20-pre10-ac2 patch with no success.

Anyone seen this before and know where I might throw my search lights ?

Thanks,
George.

-

2. ???: Unique 'route' Configuration Question ???

3. CardBus, PCI: Strange I/O ports assigned to CardBus bridge

4. possible memory leak?

5. only show the PCMCIA/CardBus submenu if "PCMCIA/CardBus support" is selected

6. ipc & screen routines

7. Cardbus DMA with CardBus card as initiator

8. How to run something in rc.local not as root when booting.

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Anyone able to install FreeBSD on laptop with Cardbus card?

11. Cardbus insertion autoconf in FreeBSD 5.0

12. freebsd 5.0 Cardbus and Zonet RTL-8139

13. does FreeBSD 4.0 support this CardBus card?