FreeBSD 2.1.7 FTP Install Problem

Post by Kevin McCaule » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello. I'm trying to install FreeBSD over FTP but when I put the install
program into PACKET mode from the term there is a 2-3 sec. delay and then
my modem gets hung up. Any help please respond to

Thanx,
        Kevin McCauley

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hello. I'm trying to install FreeBSD over FTP but when I put the install
> program into PACKET mode from the term there is a 2-3 sec. delay and then
> my modem gets hung up.

That's far too few information.  Try increasing the debug level (``set
debug connect phase''), and look where it disagrees with the remote
peer.  Maybe you're attempting to negotiate an IP address your remote
server doesn't like.

--
cheers, J"org

1. Problems trying to install FreeBSD via FTP...

I'm trying to install FreeBSD through FTP but I'm having problems
resolving the host address (ftp.freebsd.org or whatever I'm trying to
connect to) ... I'm getting an error message indicating that the
Gateway, the DNS or the Network interface settings are incorrect.
        I usually connect to the Internet by modem using a dial-up connection
from Windows 95 to a computer running on aix2.  I use a program called
slirp (1.0c) to simulate a PPP connection (I think that's what it
does).  When this program is launched, it display the host IP address,
the Primary and the secondary DNS, and my own IP address (it says: your
ip address is 10.0.2.15 or anything you want - i'm assuming it's
dynamically allocated) and then displays the message "Now talking PPP".

During the ftp installation (via modem/PPP), I'm using:
        aix2.uottawa.ca as the Host,
        uottawa.ca as the domain,
        the ip address of the host (given by slirp) as Gateway,
        tried Primary and Secondary DNS as name server,
        10.0.2.15 (as given by slirp) as ip address under Network interface,
        the default value (0.255.255.255) as Netmask id,
        tried the ip address of the host and 0 as ip address of the host.

Once I get the PPP connection (from the dial-up program provided with
the FreeBSD installation boot disk), I return to the installation screen
and try to continue installation but I get the message "Could not
resolve host ftp.freebsd.org . Check your Gateway, DNS or the Network
interface settings."  It seems to me that the program is not checking
the PPP connection (because the message is displayed instantly after I
try to continue installation) but giving the message based on the
settings given during installation (host, domain name, gateway, etc.).
FTP from windows 95 works fine.

        Can anybody please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong?
Particularly in the Gateway entry...is it supposed to be the same as the
host's ip address? (I tried leaving it blank, but it didn't work)
How can I find out what type of connection I have when I use the slirp
program, a PPP or a SLIP?  (I tried installing using modem/SLIP but I
got an error message before I even started - interface not found)

---------------------------

University of Ottawa
---------------------------

2. solaris 10 sendmail

3. Installing FreeBSD 4.1.1 via a FTP proxy - problems with fetch

4. Redhat 9 on P4PE-X not powering down

5. NIC Problems on FreeBSD FTP Install

6. Will a DEC VaxStation 3100 Run ANY version of linux?

7. Installing FreeBSD: How Do I Socksify the FTP?

8. NAT / Network Ports/Sockets / PAT -- X-Windows and Oracle

9. FreeBSD 2.2.5 FTP install.

10. installing FreeBSD 4.4 from FTP

11. howto install freeBSD using ftp

12. FreeBSD 3.2 FTP Install / Hard Disk READ ERROR

13. FreeBSD Stable FTP Install for Morons