vMWare - access to internet trough ISP

Post by OMS Dive » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:17:15

I have vMWare installed under FreeBSD 4.6.2. vMWare is running W2K guest OS.
The access to internet is going through ISP (cable modem attached to network
adapter Realtek). The policy of ISP (in order to prevent private network
behind one computer) is that each computer (or rather each network card)
needs to be registered. When the vMWare was installed (with hostOnly option)
every attempt to access interenet was finished by redirecting to ISP www
page where I was asked to register another computer. In hostOnly mode vMWare
is using vmnet1 interface to communicate (details listed below). This
protocol has obviously different MAC ADDRESS than rl0 interface that is real
network card (details also listed below). I was trying to redirect the
vmnet1 through rl0 using natd (detailes of natd.conf listed below) but
without any effect. My understanding is that the ISP system recognize the
MAC ADDRESS of vmnet1 and threfore is asking for registration. It means that
the MAC of vmnet1 somehow should be altered - I do not know how.

I was asking some friends for help and one of the advise was that vMWare
should be installed and executed in Bridged mode. So I did it but when I was
trying to start guest OS vMWare send warning that there is no vmnet0
interface. I went through the vMWare script (located in
/usr/etc/...something) that initalize vMWare and could not find any
refference to vmnet0. Is it enough to use MAKEDEV or some other tools should
also be used.

In general my question is: How to connect guest OS of vMWare to internet
through ISP in case when system of ISP recognize the MAC address of
interface and is not allowing to access internet without registration - by
the way registration is not free of charge.

Listings

natd.conf

deny_incoming no

dynamic yes

same_ports yes

use_sockets yes

verbose no

unregistered_only yes

port natd

interface rl0

redirect_address 192.168.0.1 212.XX.XX.XXX

ipfw

00050 272 28932 divert 8668 ip from any to any via rl0

00100 20 1000 allow ip from any to any via lo0

00200 0 0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8

00300 0 0 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any

65000 272 28932 allow ip from any to any

65535 1 576 deny ip from any to any

ifconfig

rl0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 212.XX.XX.XXX netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 212.XX.XX.XXX

ether 00:e0:7d:7a:06:5f

media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)

status: active

lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552

sl1: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552

faith0: flags=8002<BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

vmnet1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::2bd:8eff:fe04:1%vmnet1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9

ether 00:bd:8e:04:00:01

--

OMS Diver

SNAFU

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 05:13:06

> In general my question is: How to connect guest OS of vMWare to internet
> through ISP in case when system of ISP recognize the MAC address of
> interface and is not allowing to access internet without registration - by
> the way registration is not free of charge.

Ok, I've not done this using FreeBSD as the host, however the process is
relatively simple:

1) Set up your host to act as a gateway doing NAT.
2) Run vmconfig.pl (or whatever it is again) to configure yourself a vmnet
interface.
3) Configure your guest OS to use Host-Only networking.
4) Configure the guest OS to use the vmnet interface as the default gateway.

And away you go...

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE)
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

1. How to access Internet from the guest system in VMWare workstation?

What I have done are decribed below,what's wrong with it???
1. Installed the VMWare workstation v4.0.5 on my computer with the
host system Win2k-Server and the guest system RH8.
2. Configured the networking type of the VM to be "bridged" and
install a Sysgate Home network 4.0 build 727 on the host system,let it
be the gateway for the guest system,then I set the sysgate to "use
single NIC settings" for my only net adapter and the internal gateway
ip is 192.168.0.254,start the service;
3. Set the ip of the eth0 on the RH8 to be 192.168.0.1,and the gateway
is 192.168.0.254,restart the network service of the eth0;
now I can ping any ip from the guest system,but not dns,that
is:pinging 1.2.3.4 can work,while pinging www.mycom.com (suppose the
ip of www.mycom.com is 1.2.3.4)returns nothing.And I can ping
bbs.somewhere.com,but I cannot telnet it!!!WHY???!!!
   Could anybody tell me how to configure the systems to access
Internet from the RH8.Many Thanks!!!

2. missing krtld

3. can't access ISP/internet/mail

4. Need example of >10,000 users on a single box

5. Accessing Internet in Linux via ISP's Proxy server

6. Unsupported CD-ROM?

7. Help in Setting up Netscape to access Internet through ISP.

8. Translation - Input from a variable and a file

9. Access Internet using RHLinux 6.0 NIC & hub to Windows 95 ISP Dialed up 56K modem

10. Using Linux with to access Internet via ISP's proxy server

11. Configuring Solaris x86 NFS/FTP or ISP dial-up Internet Access

12. Connection to internet trough PPP

13. Acceding to the internet trough W2K machine