Working programs DIE on 2.2 RELEASE. Please help!

Working programs DIE on 2.2 RELEASE. Please help!

Post by shawn car » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

We have been running a program of ours on FreeBSD, all the way back
to FreeBSD release 1.1.  We are now having a problem with this
program when we try to run under gdb on 2.2-RELEASE, where gdb
reports "Process killed due to text file modification".

Now, if I look at the date of the executable with ls -l, it is
indeed changing.  What could we be doing to make this happen?

It is also worth noting that when we ran under 2.2-ALPHA, we would
occasionally see gdb reload our executable (and sometimes even
shared libraries) between runs of the program when nothing had
been rebuilt.  The dates on the shared libs would change also, and
we don't even run as root!?!  How could we do that?

Whatever we're doing wrong, 2.2-RELEASE is tighter than previous
releases, since this is the first time gdb has actually stopped
the program from running when this anomaly occurs.  Attempts to
make sense of this have been met with rigid opposition.  Gdb stops
in a different place almost every time and the program appears to
run fine when started from the shell directly, although the executable's
date sometimes changes when we do this.

Losing the ability to debug this program has given me the ambition
to find out what's wrong.  Does anyone know what has changed between
2.2-BETA and 2.2-RELEASE that might give me a clue?  Any and all
replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Shawn Carey

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> We have been running a program of ours on FreeBSD, all the way back
> to FreeBSD release 1.1.  We are now having a problem with this
> program when we try to run under gdb on 2.2-RELEASE, where gdb
> reports "Process killed due to text file modification".

The only idea i've got is that you're suffering from some hardware
problem, like cache coherency or such, where your binaries are being
clobbered on the disk.  It looks really weird.>

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Craig Shrimpt » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > We have been running a program of ours on FreeBSD, all the way back
> > to FreeBSD release 1.1.  We are now having a problem with this
> > program when we try to run under gdb on 2.2-RELEASE, where gdb
> > reports "Process killed due to text file modification".

> The only idea i've got is that you're suffering from some hardware
> problem, like cache coherency or such, where your binaries are being
> clobbered on the disk.  It looks really weird.>

On my 2.2 system, anything that had knowledge of kmem needed to be
recompiled.  For example, a 2.1.7 kernel will not run networking after a
reboot on a 2.2 system that was installed via cvsup. The 2.1.7 kernel could
not recognize my SMC PCI Ethernet cards after I did a "make world."

Many of my ports, like gated and top, needed rebuilding.  After that,
everything worked fine.

-Craig

--
Orbit Data Systems, Inc.                         Craig Shrimpton
400 Grove Street                                 508-753-8776

1. foriegn fonts on /some/ programs since updating to KDE 2.2...please help

Since I have updated from KDE 1.1 to KDE 2.2.2 my netscape and
nedit programs (maybe others, but so far, its just those two)
have all of the menus in chinese font (or some sort of east-asian
characters).  I have tried to switch them back within the
programs, but nothing changed.  I have tried to unistall and
reinstall the .rpms but no luck again.  I have tried with AA on
and off, I have all of my fonts under "look and feel" set to
"fangsong ti [size] default".  I am using SuSE 7.0 kernel 2.2.19.
please help.

Thanks,
-Matt

2. trouble with disk array (D1000) setup

3. Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

4. Minicom 1.81 slowed to a crawl

5. 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE

6. kde22--->kde302 upgrade headscratcher..

7. HELP CONFIGURING SENDMAIL/SMAIL ON INTERACTIVE UNIX 2.2 - PLEASE HELP!

8. Partitions - What's Where?

9. Telle me please if samba 2.2 and winbind can work together ???

10. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

11. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

12. Urgent Help Required Regarding A Chat Program,PLEASE HELP,PLEASE

13. Please help me on TCP keepalive (2.2.X)