need help getting a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card to work under freebsd 4.2

need help getting a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card to work under freebsd 4.2

Post by the lor » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting my network card to work under FreeBSD-4.2.
My laptop is a toshiba tecra 8000. And my networkcard is a 'Xircom
realport ethernet 10/100 +modem 56'.
I've gotten my PCMCIA slots to work, and the card is detected properly
when inserted.

However, after insertion it gives me the following 'errors':
-------------<paste>----------
pccardd[196]: Card "Xircom"("CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56")
[CEM56] [1.00] matched "Xircom ("CreditCard Ethernet") [(null)]
[(null)]

pccardd[196]: Config id 35 not present in this card

pccardd[196]: Resource allocation failure for "Xircom"("CreditCard
Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56") [CEM56] [1.00]; Reason specified CIS was
not found
-----------<end paste>------------

Another card (an argossy (see http://www.argossy.nl)) does seem to
work properly. So I guess it has something to do with the driver for
some reason.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work? Because I'm kindof out of
ideas over here.

Thanks in advance,
--
-Sjoerd

need help getting a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card to work under freebsd 4.2

Post by -Sjoer » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:27:36 +0100, the lord

>Hi,
>I'm having trouble getting my network card to work under FreeBSD-4.2.
>My laptop is a toshiba tecra 8000. And my networkcard is a 'Xircom
>realport ethernet 10/100 +modem 56'.
>I've gotten my PCMCIA slots to work, and the card is detected properly
>when inserted.

>However, after insertion it gives me the following 'errors':
>-------------<paste>----------
>pccardd[196]: Card "Xircom"("CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56")
>[CEM56] [1.00] matched "Xircom ("CreditCard Ethernet") [(null)]
>[(null)]

>pccardd[196]: Config id 35 not present in this card

>pccardd[196]: Resource allocation failure for "Xircom"("CreditCard
>Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56") [CEM56] [1.00]; Reason specified CIS was
>not found
>-----------<end paste>------------

>Another card (an argossy (see http://www.argossy.nl)) does seem to
>work properly. So I guess it has something to do with the driver for
>some reason.

>Does anyone know how I can get it to work? Because I'm kindof out of
>ideas over here.

Right, I'm a bit further along now :)
But my card is now detected properly, but for some reason I cannot get
pccardd to assign the proper ip and netmask to the card on insertion.
When I bring the card up by hand it's fine and dandy. But according to
man pccard.conf I should be able to specify additional commands in
/etc/pccard.conf and that way get ifconfig to bring the card up/down
on insertion/removal.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong here? I did put the commands
in pccard.conf in the order that I want the commands to be executed,
like the man said.

grtz, sjoerd

need help getting a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card to work under freebsd 4.2

Post by Matthew Baylis » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I remember having trouble with my PC Card, and I was trying to use
ifconfig_ep0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" etc to configure my card.
There is an additional directive to use in rc.conf that specifically assigns
ip and netmask to pc cards' when they are inserted and not at boot-time,
which is what ifconfig_xxx does [I think].

Anyway, it's something like:
pccard_ifconfig="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

But I haven't got my laptop with me so I can't check.

Good luck!

Matt