Probably a silly upgrade question

Post by Yu Ga » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

If I upgrade from 2.8 to say 4, will I then have to wade through all the
apps that I have made and installed, like apache, gdm, php3, psql, mysql,
sendmail ad infinitum , and rebuild and reinstall all that?

thanks
yg

Probably a silly upgrade question

Post by ish ratta » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Chnage in in shared libs would require recompilation of all pieces.

hth

> If I upgrade from 2.8 to say 4, will I then have to wade through all the
> apps that I have made and installed, like apache, gdm, php3, psql, mysql,
> sendmail ad infinitum , and rebuild and reinstall all that?

> thanks
> yg

Probably a silly upgrade question

Post by Yu Ga » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thanks,
That's kind of what I'm hoping. I know I will have to do a lot of
re-compiles, but I need time to catch up on the more obscure ones, without
them necessarily crashing out befor I get to them

cheers
yg

Post by Timothy J. L » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

|> If I upgrade from 2.8 to say 4, will I then have to wade through all the
|> apps that I have made and installed, like apache, gdm, php3, psql, mysql,
|> sendmail ad infinitum , and rebuild and reinstall all that?
|
|Chnage in in shared libs would require recompilation of all pieces.

I did an upgrade by source from 3.4 to 4.0 and did not need to recompile
stuff.

Post by ze.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

: Chnage in in shared libs would require recompilation of all pieces.

        Only if the interface is reduced (which it typically isn't, if only
        for just this reason), otherwise no you don't need to rebuilt
        anything unless it's statically compiled.

--

BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only

1. Probably a silly question about "errno"

Hiya-

I've looked at some FAQ's, Altavista and other places, but can't seem to
get a satisfactory answer to this one.  Maybe someone could help.  If
it's a dumb question, just say so, and don't flame my ass.

I can't pin down how "errno" relates to its reported value.  Example: I
was reading a post that said an error was reported from some program,
the exact program/error is not important:
--------
poll() returned -1, errno =  2
--------
OOOKay. So, go to man page for poll():
---
RETURN VALUE
       On success, zero is returned.  On error, -1  is  returned,
       and errno is set appropriately.

ERRORS
       ENOMEM There  was  no  space  to  allocate file descriptor
              tables.

       EFAULT The array given as argument was  not  contained  in
              the calling program's address space.

       EINTR  An signal occurred before any requested event.
----
So in this case does "errno =  2" <---> EINTR, maybe?

Conjecture: if so, it called errno = 2 because there are three errors,
0, 1, 2 listed and it is the third entry, value = 2?

Also, one is always directed to "errno.h" for details.  But on my system
this does not seem to be very fruitful; or perhaps it is, it is just
that I am not yet able to do a good job in reading includes?

A little light (but hopefully, no heat) on this topic would be much
appreciated.

TIA.

Bob L.
--

http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

2. Where can I find df source

3. Probably a silly question

4. KMail lost messages

5. Arguing is silly... fun, but silly.

6. BSD-syscall

7. silly MTU problem? Or am I silly?

8. Linux on PS/2 MCA

9. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

10. Upgrading Sparc storage arrays (probably a little long)

11. Silly kde2 upgrade bug

12. maybe silly question ?

13. Silly versioning Question