How do I add floppy drive support (post-install)?

How do I add floppy drive support (post-install)?

Post by NA5M » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:04:10

I didn't configure the kernel for floppy support during install.  Now I want
to use the floppy.  Do I need to recompile the kernel?  There are many
/dev/fd*** device nodes, but I guess that they are useless unless support is
built into the kernel.  Or can I load a "floppy driver" module or something
instead of recompiling?  Also, how do I know whether or not I have a DEVFS
or not?  Any enlightenment is appreciated!

jon

How do I add floppy drive support (post-install)?

Post by Aaron Siege » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:27:47

Hello
The GENERIC (default) kernel has support for floppies built
in. To check if your floppy drive is being loaded properly
type
dmesg | grep fd
you should get an output if not there is a hardware problem.

Add this line to your /etc/fstab
/dev/fd0
/floppy
        msdos   rw,nonauto      0 0
device name      mount pt.      filesystem option
to type
mount /floppy

> I didn't configure the kernel for floppy support during install.  Now I want
> to use the floppy.  Do I need to recompile the kernel?  There are many
> /dev/fd*** device nodes, but I guess that they are useless unless support is
> built into the kernel.  Or can I load a "floppy driver" module or something
> instead of recompiling?  Also, how do I know whether or not I have a DEVFS
> or not?  Any enlightenment is appreciated!

> jon

How do I add floppy drive support (post-install)?

Post by John Nielse » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:00:38

Quote:> I didn't configure the kernel for floppy support during install.  Now I
want
> to use the floppy.  Do I need to recompile the kernel?  There are many
> /dev/fd*** device nodes, but I guess that they are useless unless support
is
> built into the kernel.  Or can I load a "floppy driver" module or
something
> instead of recompiling?  Also, how do I know whether or not I have a DEVFS
> or not?  Any enlightenment is appreciated!

If you've never built a custom kernel, you're running GENERIC, which
includes floppy support.  If you used the visual userconfig during install
and removed the floppy controller and/or drive, those choices are probably
saved in /boot/kernel.conf.  Edit that file and remove these lines (or very
similar ones) if they appear:
  di fdc0
  di fd0

If you didn't ever remove floppy support then this is irrelevant and you can
just follow the suggestions in Aaron Siegel's post.

JN

How do I add floppy drive support (post-install)?

Post by Ted Spradle » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:32:16

On Sun, 03 Mar 2002 02:27:47 GMT

> Hello
> The GENERIC (default) kernel has support for floppies built
> in. [...]

> > I didn't configure the kernel for floppy support during install.

I just checked and I was a bit surprised that there doesn't seem to be
anything for floppies in /modules, so it looks like you'll have to build
a new kernel.  Since you've done it before you know that it's trivial to
do, but it does mean that you'll have to shut down and boot the new
kernel.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html

1. RH7.1 - How do I Remove / Add NICs post-install?

Sorry for the cross post, but it belongs in this group too.

I just installed RH7.1 and set it up for the Intel EEPro 100 card I have in
my system. I discovered after it didn't work right that I have the old EEPro
100A with the unsupported 82556 driver. I would like to be able to remove
the driver for this and install the wd.o driver for an SMC EtherCard Elite
16T (wd8013) that I also have in this system. however, I cannot get at the
kerneld utility to assign a driver for eth0. It also appears that my system
cannot find linuxconf. I can run netconf, but that only lets me add
interfaces, not assign drivers.

So, what should I do? Did I miss something in the initial install? I am
wondering what else did not install. BTW, I used the custom class
installation as I dual boot NT4.0 as well, using the NT Bootloader, which I
have working fine to also boot linux. Thanks.

2. How do I get the full length hostname?

3. HELP: post-install package installation from DOS partition

4. Joining the Cult of Linux

5. (3rd Post..) LILO Boot floppy/ Accessing DOS files...

6. ksh hangs attempting to lock history file on NFS mounted file system

7. Anyone having trouble installing Linux on a drive using EZ Drive should read this post.

8. Out of virtual memory error with 8M RAM and 16M swap.

9. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

10. [RFC] add support for PC-9800 architecture (8/26) floppy #2

11. add support for PC-9800 architecture (floppy #1)

12. add support for PC-9800 architecture (floppy #2)

13. add support for PC-9800 architecture (floppy #1)