Panasonic CD-ROM

Post by Jim Dawso » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a Panasonic (matshita) CR-581 IDE CD-ROM drive in a Pentium 120.
Is there any way to make freeBSD find it. It won't find it during the
install and as a new Unix user, that would sure simplify installation.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Panasonic CD-ROM

Post by Frank Durda » Mon, 22 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[0]I have a Panasonic (matshita) CR-581 IDE CD-ROM drive in a Pentium 120.
[0]Is there any way to make freeBSD find it. It won't find it during the
[0]install and as a new Unix user, that would sure simplify installation.

Make sure you are using "atapi.flp" from FREEBSD 2.1.0 or later,
NOT "boot.flp".  The "boot.flp" file does not contain IDE support.
This and other IDE-oddities are covered in the readme, release and
install[ation] files in the root directory of the CD-ROM, which you
can read on any system, including MS-DOS.  IDE CD-ROM support in 2.1.0
is beta quality at best, and some drives don't work.

I haven't seen any other reports on the Matsushita CR-581, so I don't
know of any success or failure with this drive.

                                            |"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem            |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. Does S3 3D/2X work under 4.01?

3. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

4. truetype fonts

5. Infomagic CD installation, panasonic CD-rom mount error

6. checking remote UDP ports

7. Matsushita/panasonic CD-ROM via SB interface

8. Going Hybrid is the way to success

9. Installing from Matashi/Panasonic CD-ROM CR-574 plugged into Sound Blaster 32

10. Panasonic CD-ROM

11. Panasonic CD-ROM 562 - Drivers?

12. Golden Sound and Panasonic CD-ROM under RedHat Linux 6.0

13. Linux and 24x panasonic CD-ROM.