win98 and freebsd dual-boot?

Post by BB » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Well, that's strange because I have Win98, WinNT Server, and FreeBSD
bootable on the same machine. I did not use all remaining space on the disk
for the FreeBSD slice, but I did install them in the above order
respectively and used Partition Magic's BootMagic to configure the boot
choices. PM will only run on the Win98 FAT partition and not in WinNT
Server. Also did you leave enough space on the boot partition? Did you
select the entire disk for the Win98 partition when you installed that
previously? If so, then that would be a problem.

BB

Quote:

> i am not trying to allocate the rest of the unused space to FreeBSD.
Almost all
> of it but not quite.
> the craigmaNN

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Choice of WM on Linux?

3. dual-boot win98 + freebsd

4. Private Instant Messageing software.

5. Dual-boot FreeBSD and Solaris FROM FreeBSD

6. Linux Hang!!! Sometimes, after upgrading netscape 4.5

7. Problems with Dual Booting (Win98) and (FreeBSD 3.1)

8. Canon BJC-4100 no longer available in WP8.0

9. Dual-booting win98 and FreeBSD problem

10. Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

11. installing Debian over win98 in dual boot system (win98 and win2k)

12. Which FreeBsd boot sector to use (Dual booting NT/FreeBSD) ?

13. Mandrake/Win98 dual-boot without LILO? (FAT32)