Hardware problem

Post by Clay Shield » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

My FreeBSD box started crashing yesterday. I managed to save my data
as the system slowly died with many errors along the lines of:

page fault in 4MB space
(I couldn't copy it all because the system was crashed)

I thought maybe I had a bad disk sector, so I tired to re-install the
system via FTP, doing a bad block scan. That crashed too, as did
another try at installation without the bad block scan, which
reported:

panic: page fault

I am pretty sure I have a hardware problem, but can anyone give me a hint
as to what has gone bad? Disk, memory, etc...?

Clay

Hardware problem

Post by Chris Costell » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I am pretty sure I have a hardware problem, but can anyone give me a hint
> as to what has gone bad? Disk, memory, etc...?

   Sounds a lot like a problem with your RAM.

1. Hardware problem? was FBSD Booting problem

Hi,

Well I've found that my FBSD 3.0 kernel  was probing my secondary  ide
line, but not finding the devices.  However, now it isn't and  I see a
message along the lines of:

"Secondary IDE has no dma  ... "simplex"

Does anyone know what this means.  Is this the reason why my updated
kernel is not probing either the wd2 or my CD-rom (secondary slave).  No
dma sounds unhealthy, but I don't have any trouble booting or installing
using version 2.2.5.  It only seems to be the v3.0 kernel.  Odd to say
the least!

Thanks

Martin

2. Is Tick Like AIM?

3. Is this a hardware problem or a Linux problem?

4. Stealth 64 ghost images

5. rc.sysinit fails - hardware problem? grep-problem?

6. Start httpd at bootup

7. hardware problem (lockups)

8. junk email

9. SS2 Hardware Problem?

10. Can't load Linux - Hardware problem?

11. Fresh Newbie - Sound Card & Hardware Problems - Help!

12. annoying hardware problem, please help!!

13. Boot disk crash (hardware problem?)