PXE & Jump Start

Post by dext.. » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:53:31

Does anyone know what the PXE Technology is. Ive been reading the
jumpstart tutorial and its not clear what PXE is. Is this technology only
available on intel ethernet cards ?

PXE & Jump Start

Post by Thierry Herbelo » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 05:24:00

> Does anyone know what the PXE Technology is. Ive been reading the
> jumpstart tutorial and its not clear what PXE is. Is this technology only
> available on intel ethernet cards ?

PXE is add-on to the standard BIOS (Pre-boot eXecution Environment ?)
which enables a PC to boot from the network, using protocols analogous
to those used by Sun for diskless booting.

PXE wil most certainly work with recent Intel or 3Com NICs, and recent
motherboards.

I used it with rack-mount PCs, but the version I used was not really
reliable.

--
Thierry Herbelot

1. 2.4 jump-start & ufs filesystems

I upgraded my 2.3 jump-start server to 2.4, and now am having
trouble getting clients to mount ufs filesystems, like /usr, during
the boot net install process.

It gets about 3/4 of the way through the boot up, and after the point
where it does "Configuring the /devices directory" it cannot mount
the /usr filesystem.

I received some info. from Sun identifying this as bug id 1180817,
with a workaround of how to mount ufs filesystems *after* booting, during
the finish script. However, that is not quite good enough, because
in order to install /usr, it has to mount /usr from the server before
it gets to the finish script. Has anyone else found a way to fix this
problem?

If I get some correct and useful responses, I will summarize to the
newsgroup.

Thanks!

-- Laura

BBN Corporation                | Laura Taylor

Cambridge, Ma. 02140           | FAX (617) 873-4265
U.S.A                          | (617) 873-4292

BBN Corporation                | Laura Taylor

Cambridge, Ma. 02140           | FAX (617) 873-4265
U.S.A                          | (617) 873-4292

2. Problems Building pam_ldap on FreeBSD

3. java/43949: Port java/jump should install jump.jar in shared jars dir

4. Cleware Linux Info

5. Quick jump-start with Apache web server

6. compile kernel, quick question

7. Jump Start - questions while booting

8. Veritas or UFS

9. Jump Start on SUN 2.7

10. I ran across this error message on a jump start

11. AppFoundry: Jump-starting Intranets With AppFoundry

12. Screen starts jumping

13. Jump Starting GCC from Skunkware 5.0