Newbie questions: PPP (obviously) and characters in xterm

Newbie questions: PPP (obviously) and characters in xterm

Post by ?ystein Skundber » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

1. I just installed FreeBSD 3.1 last, and

2. I *have* read HOW-TO's, FAQ's and done the search-dejanews-thing.

3. In my ppp.conf file, I have a subsection called tele2: (my ISP). When i
type ppp tele2, the prompt says "working in interactive mode". I must have
changed something inadvertedly, because at first, the ppp ON>-prompt came,
I typed "term" , then "atdt81010000", and the modem dialed, and I could
ping my host, but the connection broke after a minute or so.

4. I probably should include my ppp.conf-file, and I will when I manage to
mount the bsd partition from linux or copy the files to a floppy.

5. But anyway, doesn't "ppp tele2" mean that the information for the
connection is taken from the "tele2" subsection of the ppp.conf-file?

6. Second question: I configured X with both the sysinstall utility and
XF86Setup, and chose Norwegian all the way. Nevertheless, none of the
norwegian characters (ISO-8869-1) show up in X. Will I have to alter
~/.xmodmaprc and load it each tinme I start X?

So, bear with me.

?S

                                        *This sentence is Y2K compliant*

Post by ?ystein Skundber » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> 6. Second question: I configured X with both the sysinstall utility and
> XF86Setup, and chose Norwegian all the way. Nevertheless, none of the
> norwegian characters (ISO-8869-1) show up in X. Will I have to alter
> ~/.xmodmaprc and load it each tinme I start X?

Oh, /ignore this bit. It was the magic ~/.inputrc, of course.

1. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

First, I would like to thank all the users of this NG that help me with
my many installation problems. Today my FreeBSD system is now able to
connect to the internet (via dial-up PPP), I have X Windows configured
and Netscape Communicator installed and running properly.

I have a few questions that came up tonight as I was messing around with
my system.  First, I am using the ICE window manager and I would like to
change the background from the default pattern, how can I accomplish
this?  I like the ICEMW shell the best out of the two three that I tried
(twm, fvwm2 and fvwm95). Anyone have any other suggestions for a clean
WM?

My second question is a little more in depth.  Currently to connect to
my ISP I am using ppp and the following steps:

ppp
set speed 115200
term
atdt xxx-xxxx
Manually typing my login information in
I get kicked out of term mode and then type add default HISADDR

I just kinda stumbled into this process and it is working perfectly for
me; however, being that I still know very little about FreeBSD or Unix
for that matter, is there a better way to accomplish this??

My last question pertains to my system memory and how much is shown as I
am booting into FreeBSD.  I have 192MB of memory, buy on boot up FreeBSD
is only seeing 64MB, is there something I need to set so that it sees
the other 128mb?

Again, I really appreciate all of the help this NG has given me. Sure
beats the hell out of any of the Windows based NGs.

2. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

3. Newbie - Netscape plug-ins

4. Linux crashes on AMD ELAN400 please help

5. Newbie question: delete newline character with sed

6. radeonfb ... again

7. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

8. WEB SITE FOR HARDWARE SUPPORT???

9. newbie question:How to set xterm options dynamically

10. concurrent ppp dial-ins

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. newbie xterm/kvt question

13. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??