Newbie question (please don't shoot)

Post by Raide » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm running a local intranet with a mix of servers including NT4, Novell
3.12 and 4.11 and recently added FreeBSD 2.2.2 to the mix. My clients
consist of Win95 and Win98. NT is the DNS and DHCP. When I Telnet, FTP or
connect to the Web server it connects immediately (or the FreeBSD box
responds with what I talk about in the second part) like in the case of
Telnet, it takes up a 1 minute or more to display a prompt. This is a
default install of FreeBSD so what needs to be tweaked to get the prompt to
display as soon as I telnet to the machine?

Second, whenever the FreeBSD machine detects a remote request it displays on
the FreeBSD monitor:
Jun 23 02:08:07 sleepy inetd[6026]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

Of course some of the information changes each time, but what does this mean
and where and what do I need to do to fix it?

TIA for any help.

Newbie question (please don't shoot)

Post by Merli » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I sent you the solution to your problem via email response.  Because of
your forged email address the answers were bounced.

Your loss.

-ck

Post by Michael Josefss » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>om!enews2

>Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>Subject: Newbie question (please don't shoot)
>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:02:23 -0700

>I'm running a local intranet with a mix of servers including NT4, Novell
>3.12 and 4.11 and recently added FreeBSD 2.2.2 to the mix. My clients
>consist of Win95 and Win98. NT is the DNS and DHCP. When I Telnet, FTP or
>connect to the Web server it connects immediately (or the FreeBSD box
>responds with what I talk about in the second part) like in the case of
>Telnet, it takes up a 1 minute or more to display a prompt. This is a
>default install of FreeBSD so what needs to be tweaked to get the prompt to
>display as soon as I telnet to the machine?
>Second, whenever the FreeBSD machine detects a remote request it displays on
>the FreeBSD monitor:
>Jun 23 02:08:07 sleepy inetd[6026]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

The 2.2.2 missed login.conf in /etc. If you installed from the double CD set
then use the 2nd CD (live FS) and copy it from there. This is also mentioned
in the root directory in the bugs-file. Should not have anything to do with the
previous problem though (I think). I always get a snappy login.

/Micke

Quote:>Of course some of the information changes each time, but what does this mean
>and where and what do I need to do to fix it?
>TIA for any help.

Newbie question (please don't shoot)

Post by Raide » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to avoid the nightmare I had

(remove the ?) (still paranoid)
Your attempt to help is appreciated.

>I sent you the solution to your problem via email response.  Because of
>your forged email address the answers were bounced.

>Your loss.

>-ck

Newbie question (please don't shoot)

Post by Raide » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the info. I'll look at that file and I appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Quote:>The 2.2.2 missed login.conf in /etc. If you installed from the double CD

Post by Kenneth Furg » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running a local intranet with a mix of servers including NT4, Novell
> 3.12 and 4.11 and recently added FreeBSD 2.2.2 to the mix. My clients
> consist of Win95 and Win98. NT is the DNS and DHCP. When I Telnet, FTP or
> connect to the Web server it connects immediately (or the FreeBSD box
> responds with what I talk about in the second part) like in the case of
> Telnet, it takes up a 1 minute or more to display a prompt. This is a
> default install of FreeBSD so what needs to be tweaked to get the prompt to
> display as soon as I telnet to the machine?

You need to edit your /etc/resolv.conf to point to your dns machine.
The ftp and telnet logins are waiting for a reverse dns that eventually
times out.

- K.C.

Post by Sue Bla » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >Jun 23 02:08:07 sleepy inetd[6026]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
> The 2.2.2 missed login.conf in /etc. If you installed from the double CD set
> then use the 2nd CD (live FS) and copy it from there. This is also mentioned
> in the root directory in the bugs-file. Should not have anything to do with the
> previous problem though (I think). I always get a snappy login.

IIRC, the errata on the CD did not point to the correct place for the file,
and the file was not available from the CD. It had to be downloaded or some
kind person might email it to you (again).

I usually check my references very carefully before giving advice, but
unfortunately I am not able to do so from here right now. If you have
trouble getting a copy of login.conf please be sure to ask again.

1. Please don't shoot the newbie.

I have heard a little about Linuix from other newsgroups (c.l.c, c.l.c++,
c.l.f, etc.) and I was wondering exaclty what it is, and what it is used
for, and how one might go about switching from Windows95(Please, don't
laugh), to Linuix if it would be on use to me.  Thank you for your time.

Jim Sheckard

2. No icons in KDE

3. What's this Motif thing (Don't shoot the Newbie)

4. no login prompt

5. Newbie -- Don't Shoot!

6. What is Linux '95 ? { MATLAB on Linux }

7. unix newbie ahoy! Don't shoot!

8. CD-ROM access

9. don't shoot.... yet

10. Newbie questions - I don't know where to start!

11. keys don't work in XF86 (newbie question)

12. Windows question (Please don't laugh!)

13. stupid question- please don't flame!