Cannot mail anything @freebsd.org anymore, help please!

Post by nox_.. » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

 [our newsserver doesn't post at the moment, therefore i'm sending
this thru dejanews, please post answers or mail me at the address
below.]

happened on 2 mailing lists, their list owners and FreeBSD-gnats-submit,
no bounces, the messages just disappear.  My `ISP' just changed from a
class C to a smaller subnet and is now running NAT, could that have
something to do with it?  Any help greatly appreciated...

 Thanx and Regards,
--

(remove dot foo from address to reply)

Post by Juergen Loc » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hello!

> [our newsserver doesn't post at the moment, therefore i'm sending
>this thru dejanews, please post answers or mail me at the address
>below.]

Its up again, or so i hope...

>happened on 2 mailing lists, their list owners and FreeBSD-gnats-submit,
>no bounces, the messages just disappear.  My `ISP' just changed from a
>class C to a smaller subnet and is now running NAT, could that have
>something to do with it?  Any help greatly appreciated...

 Is there nobody who can help me with that?  Is this some kind of
blacklisting mail server `feature'?  Are my (small, yes, but anyway)
contributions to the FreeBSD project not wanted anymore?  Who would
decide this anyway?  Or should i just keep trying *sigh*.

 Thanx and Regards,
--

Post by Steven G. Kar » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

>>Hello!

>> [our newsserver doesn't post at the moment, therefore i'm sending
>>this thru dejanews, please post answers or mail me at the address
>>below.]

> Its up again, or so i hope...

>>happened on 2 mailing lists, their list owners and FreeBSD-gnats-submit,
>>no bounces, the messages just disappear.  My `ISP' just changed from a
>>class C to a smaller subnet and is now running NAT, could that have
>>something to do with it?  Any help greatly appreciated...

>  Is there nobody who can help me with that?  Is this some kind of
> blacklisting mail server `feature'?  Are my (small, yes, but anyway)
> contributions to the FreeBSD project not wanted anymore?  Who would
> decide this anyway?  Or should i just keep trying *sigh*.

Are you behind a firewall that does not route mail to the
outside world?

Is your ISP spammer friendly?  This will get your ISP black listed.

PS:  I'm interested in your contributions.

--
Steve

Cannot mail anything @freebsd.org anymore, help please!

Post by James P. Ree » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

--snip--

Quote:> Is your ISP spammer friendly?  This will get your ISP black listed.

--snip--

How do you discover if your ISP is spammer friendly? other than trying
it yourself and getting booted...

Jim

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> --snip--
>> Is your ISP spammer friendly?  This will get your ISP black listed.
> --snip--

> How do you discover if your ISP is spammer friendly? other than trying
> it yourself and getting booted...

You could ask ;-)

You can also go to www.orbs.org and www.sendmail.org and probably
other sites.  Read the pages and follow links.

See if you have /etc/mail/README.  Read the file and follow you
instincts.

--
Steve

Post by k.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello!

>  [our newsserver doesn't post at the moment, therefore i'm sending
> this thru dejanews, please post answers or mail me at the address
> below.]

> happened on 2 mailing lists, their list owners and

FreeBSD-gnats-submit,

Quote:> no bounces, the messages just disappear.  My `ISP' just changed from a
> class C to a smaller subnet and is now running NAT, could that have
> something to do with it?  Any help greatly appreciated...

NAT, NAT, NAT!. That is one problem. Your ISP's address must be in
FreeBSD's sendmail black list. Can you send e-mail any other place?. If
so, that is the problem. Also I would complain to your ISP about NAT,
becauses there are many applications that won't work behind a NAT
machine. We have a FreeBSD connecting 5 machines the the net with
ip-aliasing, and one provider we had did the NAT on their system, and
all of a sudden quicktime 4  and other audio apps behind our FreeBSD
server wouldn't work. When i looked at my IP address it was 10.0.1.111
!, an intranet IP ( We changed prividers in a quicktime! :) ). So they
are trying to save IP's, and really NAT should be for companies
connected to ISP, and not for ISP's connected to the net. I guess they
learned our tricks :).

Hope this helps,

Karl Wagner
San Juan, PR

Cannot mail anything @freebsd.org anymore, help please!

Post by Juergen Lo » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Are you behind a firewall that does not route mail to the
>outside world?

Well...  turns out my ISP's rmail (i'm doing mail via uucp-over-tcp
cause that keeps the connection times down, cause there ain't no flat
rates here in germany :/ ) suddenly doesn't relay outgoing mail anymore,

So freebsd.org's sendmail is completely innocent!  Sorry i didn't check
that earlier...

Quote:>PS:  I'm interested in your contributions.

 Still that's nice to hear :)

 Regards,
--

Post by Bill Gunshann » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

|> You can also go to www.orbs.org

www.orbs.org is gone.  I seem to recall there was some legal snafu
over what they were doing.

bill

--
Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves

University of Scranton   |
Scranton, Pennsylvania   |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Post by Steven G. Kar » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>|> You can also go to www.orbs.org

> www.orbs.org is gone.  I seem to recall there was some legal snafu
> over what they were doing.

Are you sure?

lynx www.orbs.org

brings up a nice web page.  Not to mention, orbs sent me a message
(about 2 weeks ago) about an old dec alphastation that had an open
relay (which has been fixed).

--
Steve

Post by Bill Gunshann » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

|> > www.orbs.org is gone.  I seem to recall there was some legal snafu
|> > over what they were doing.
|> >

|> Are you sure?
|>
|> lynx www.orbs.org
|>
|> brings up a nice web page.  Not to mention, orbs sent me a message
|> (about 2 weeks ago) about an old dec alphastation that had an open
|> relay (which has been fixed).

I withdraw my original comment.  I had been told that ORBS was gone and
when I did a "ping www.orbs.org" I got back "unresolvable hostname".

I even got it once today.  But after trying "lynx www.orbs.org" and
getting connected even ping now works.

Go figure.

bill

--
Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves

University of Scranton   |
Scranton, Pennsylvania   |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

1. mail problem - TO: freebsd.org & e-mail address needed

I have been trying for the last couple of days to mail to

due to my system being behind a firewall OR the DNS IP address entry for
my domain not matching my dial-up IP address.

Has anyone had this problem?

Also....Does anyone (jkh ??? ) have the e-mail address of the person
maintaining the driver for the BT848 based TV/Video capture cards
(brooktree.c).??

This is the error message I get from hub.freebsd.org.......

... while talking to hub.freebsd.org.:
<<< 550 Access denied

--XAA00252.900648533/lsjt.linuxsjt.org

Reporting-MTA: dns; lsjt.linuxsjt.org
Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost.linuxsjt.org
Arrival-Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:08:38 -0500 (CDT)

Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; hub.freebsd.org
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Access denied
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:08:53 -0500 (CDT)

2. routing....

3. freebsd.org mailing list memberships reminder

4. asynchronous io

5. PS/2 mouse

6. Unable to send mail to freebsd.org

7. tar -d (diff file)

8. FreeBSD.org: Mailing list search engine

9. FreeBSD.Org - Mail/Mail List problems

10. OT FreeBSD.ORG mail server problem

11. ldconfig disappeared, cannot run anything, do anything

12. freeBSD book form freebsd.org ?