CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX (4.3-release)

Post by Steven Lacroi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 00:46:50

I am reading the Unix administration handbook - there is a section on
performance
Tuning a FreeBSD kernel - for webserving in particular.  It mentions that I
should
Add these 4 lines to the kernel.  I am running 4.3-release (i386) with the
GENERIC
So far.

maxusers          256
options              NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options              CHILD_MAX=1024
options              OPEN_MAX=1024

I promptly get an unknown option for OPEN_MAX and CHILD_MAX.  What am I
doing
Wrong?

Post by Mike Andre » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 01:28:42

: I am reading the Unix administration handbook - there is a section on
: performance
: Tuning a FreeBSD kernel - for webserving in particular.  It mentions that I
: should
: Add these 4 lines to the kernel.  I am running 4.3-release (i386) with the
: GENERIC
: So far.

: maxusers          256
: options              NMBCLUSTERS=4096
: options              CHILD_MAX=1024
: options              OPEN_MAX=1024

: I promptly get an unknown option for OPEN_MAX and CHILD_MAX.  What am I
: doing
: Wrong?

THe book doesn't reflect the changes in FreeBSD since it was
written. Have a look at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT to see all
the permitted kernel configuration parameters and options.

If it's not in there, it's not permitted. You might be able to
find some parm or option that will do much the same thing.

--
"Remember:  every member of your 'target audience' also owns a broadcasting
station.  These 'targets' can shoot back."

1. CHILD_MAX/OPEN_MAX

Been getting some "too many open files" errors from opendir() calls in
leafnode's "fetch" program lately, so I copied these two parameters from
the LINT file into my kernel config, still using a MAXUSERS setting of 10.

Just wondering if the settings used (128 for both) are the default, or did
I actually bump them up by adding these options?  And is increasing
CHILD_MAX really necessary?  I'm inclined to think I really only need to
increase OPEN_MAX, but I did both, just to be sure.

--
Conrad Sabatier         http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

2. Help: POV on Linux problem...

3. 2.2.5, CHILD_MAX & OPEN_MAX

4. Help with NewsGroups and FreeBSD

5. CHILD_MAX, OPEN_MAX & mail server on FreeBSD

6. Image-software?

7. syslimits.h and CHILD_MAX or OPEN_MAX

8. I will be away on vacation

9. CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX limits

10. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

11. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

12. newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

13. problem with sqrt and errno, FreeBSD release 4.3