Q:Sharing Jaz cartridges between FreeBSD and Solaris

Q:Sharing Jaz cartridges between FreeBSD and Solaris

Post by Arne Norre Ekstroe » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

This may very well be a dumb question (I hope not a FAQ)

I have been given the opportunity to get a Jaz drive installed in my
SUN machine at the university. How is the best way to get to read
these Jaz cartridges at my FreeBSD machine at home????

Specifically I need suggestions for the choice of file system. I was
told by my sys.adm. at the university that FAT was the only choice, I
_really_ hope that he's mistaken... :-( (I'm aware that this is
partially a Solaris issue, but I have to start somewhere....)

Also I would appreciate any directions on how to get a Jaz drive up
and running in the FreeBSD environment. I don't have any SCSI
experience, so any advise will be greatly appreciated, including
suggestions for choice of controller...

Thanx, in advance.

--

Soendergade 24, 1.th    WWW:    http://www.kom.auc.dk/~anek93
DK-9000 Aalborg         Phone:  +45 98 11 11 13

Q:Sharing Jaz cartridges between FreeBSD and Solaris

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Specifically I need suggestions for the choice of file system. I was
> told by my sys.adm. at the university that FAT was the only choice, I
> _really_ hope that he's mistaken... :-(

He's most likely right.  While Solaris uses basically the same UFS
(4.2BSD file system) FreeBSD uses too, they've made their version
incompatible enough so you can't mutually mount the file systems.

If ISO9660 is a choice for you, you might give it a try as well.  It's
read/only, but you can use mkisofs to create an image, and drop it
over to the Jaz drive.

Of course, you can always use the raw device access of the Jaz for
things like tar or cpio.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Richard Tob » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>He's most likely right.  While Solaris uses basically the same UFS
>(4.2BSD file system) FreeBSD uses too, they've made their version
>incompatible enough so you can't mutually mount the file systems.

And UFS uses native byte order, which is different between *86 and
Sparc.

-- Richard
--
I automatically delete unread all email from or through Earthlink,
Compuserve and usa.net, because it's almost all junk mail.

1. Cylinders, heads, & sectors specs for Jaz cartridge?

Howdy,
I recently got a new Jaz cartridge & was trying to set up some partitions
on it in Linux (1.2.13).  When I tried doing a cfdisk on /dev/sda, I get an
error that the drive head geometry cannot be read.  I'm asuming that I now
need to specify the parameters on the command line for cfdisk?
According to the man page for cfdisk, this error normally occurs for SCSI
cards which do not have BIOS.  However, I have an old clunky ISA SCSI card
(FDC TMC-885) that does have BIOS on it (& it's enabled).  Is there something
I doing wrong here?  If not, what are the cyl, hds, & sectors for a Jaz
cartridge so I can specify them for cfdisk?

I can mount the cartridge fine (its just one big FAT partition). I've also
previously connected a SCSI disk to the FDC card & booted from a SCSI HD.

Now, the Jaz drive is the only thing connected to the FDC SCSI card, I have
2 EIDE HDs on an Intel Zappa motherbd (P90) with AMI BIOS.

Any info appreciated.

        Terry

2. UP spinlock debugging

3. How do I make a rescue jaz-cartridge ???????

4. Casual use of SLIP

5. unlocking jaz cartridges without dos,., Possible ?

6. MODEM and IRQ: help a newbie

7. Reflector on a Jaz cartridge.

8. sccs permissions

9. can Jaz 2MB cartridges be used in a 1MB drive ?

10. Sharing JAZ drive on Solaris 2.6

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Sharing a Jaz disk between a Linux box and a Sun workstation?

13. sharing Jaz with Linux & win95