GCC-2.8 or EGCS? The Future of FreeBSD's cc(1)?

GCC-2.8 or EGCS? The Future of FreeBSD's cc(1)?

Post by Gunther Schad » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello Developers!

Thank you ever and ever again for maintaining FreeBSD! I feel so guilty
that I can't do much myself, but my thoughts are with you and this great
OS! The binary compatibility initiative between *BSD*, Linux, SCO and Sun
will hopefully be fruitful for the competence of PC UNICES against WinNT!

As I am developing C++ applications in health care (powered by FreeBSD,
of course!) I need a strong C++ compiler. GCC 2.7.3 is a bit outdated by
now and it is high time for working exceptions, rtti, etc. Cygnus seemed
to detach from GCC or better GCC is picky about Cygnus' inventions?
Anyway, I fear that GCC-2.8 will take some more time to its release, hope-
fully not years! EGCS is the new GCC initiative hosted by Cygnus employees.
Seems to be more state of the art. I didn't try it yet, did anyone else?
Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)? I think it was an
important step in release 2.2 to use the most up to date compiler (no more
GCC 1.45, 2.3.3 :-)

regards
-Gunther

PS: I think EGCS has already incorporated the i586 speedups worked into
GCC (was it pgcc?) It sure is a great thing if these are running as
standard on FreeBSD, isn' t it?

--
Gunther Schadow------------------Windsteiner Weg 54a, Berlin 14165, FR. Germany
Dept. of Anaesthesia, Benjamin Franklin University Hospital, Berlin.

----------------------------------------#include <usual/disclaimer>------------

GCC-2.8 or EGCS? The Future of FreeBSD's cc(1)?

Post by Tim Liddelo » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[intro deleted]

Quote:> As I am developing C++ applications in health care (powered by FreeBSD,
> of course!) I need a strong C++ compiler. GCC 2.7.3 is a bit outdated by
> now and it is high time for working exceptions, rtti, etc. Cygnus seemed
> to detach from GCC or better GCC is picky about Cygnus' inventions?

Good to see - there are a few of us who develop large applications in
C++
on FreeBSD - you are definitely not alone.

Quote:> Anyway, I fear that GCC-2.8 will take some more time to its release, hope-
> fully not years! EGCS is the new GCC initiative hosted by Cygnus employees.
> Seems to be more state of the art. I didn't try it yet, did anyone else?
> Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)? I think it was an
> important step in release 2.2 to use the most up to date compiler (no more
> GCC 1.45, 2.3.3 :-)

GCC 2.8 is not looking like coming out at any time soon; so EGCS is a
good
alternative.  However, I cannot see the core team replacing the current
gcc
2.7.3 with it for some good reasons.  However, I think it would be good
if ECGS could be made available as a port so that people like us can
have
access to a much better compiler (better template support, bug fixes,
etc).

What does the core team have to say on this ?  John ? :)

Cheers
Tim.
 Tim Liddelow                      *      Internet Consulting
 Internet Project Manager       *    *
 Cybec Pty Ltd                      *     Anti Virus/Firewalls/Security
 Phone: +61 3 9825 5645                   C++/UNIX/WIN32/OOP/OOD/WWW

GCC-2.8 or EGCS? The Future of FreeBSD's cc(1)?

Post by John S. Dys » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello Developers!

<stuff deleted>

> Anyway, I fear that GCC-2.8 will take some more time to its release, hope-
> fully not years! EGCS is the new GCC initiative hosted by Cygnus employees.
> Seems to be more state of the art. I didn't try it yet, did anyone else?
> Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)? I think it was an
> important step in release 2.2 to use the most up to date compiler (no more
> GCC 1.45, 2.3.3 :-)

<stuff deleted>

> PS: I think EGCS has already incorporated the i586 speedups worked into
> GCC (was it pgcc?) It sure is a great thing if these are running as
> standard on FreeBSD, isn' t it?

I check egcs (CC only) regularly.  It is one of my background activities.
I can imagine a port for EGCS appearing after it is released.  It might
even be good enough to replace CC on a user's machine, but of course,
our distribution will likely contain 2.7.X for some time.

I applaud (loudly) the EGCS effort.

--
John

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)?

I'm afraid we might need to go ELF first, since neither of the GNU
tools supports the old FreeBSD a.out anymore.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

    >> Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)?

    JW> I'm afraid we might need to go ELF first, since neither of the
    JW> GNU tools supports the old FreeBSD a.out anymore.

Good. I hope that will happen soon. I heard someone already was
running a 100% ELF FreeBSD system.
--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know

Post by Bbauma » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>     >> Is it planned to replace the EGCS as FreeBSD's cc(1)?

>     JW> I'm afraid we might need to go ELF first, since neither of the
>     JW> GNU tools supports the old FreeBSD a.out anymore.

> Good. I hope that will happen soon. I heard someone already was
> running a 100% ELF FreeBSD system.
> --
>  /\_/\
> ( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know

Any idea if this is planned for FreeBSD 3.x?

1. C++ , cc and gcc under FreeBSD: won't compile.

Hello,

I'm just a beginner with FreeBSD and although I have already installed the
system and have it up and running the way I want, I'm facing some problems
with cc and gcc when compiling c++ programs.

First I wanted to compile a C++ program and it failed, couldn't find any of
the libraries of C++. When I checked the verion , it was gcc 2.7, the
version that comes with the base 3.2 FreeBSD system, but had no support from
C++. Then I went to the ports collection and Installed gcc 2.8 ("The latest
greatest...." as the description goes) and to my surprise, it still sid that
version was 2.7. Did a find and found  2versions of gcc, one in /usr/bin
(2.7) and one in /usr/local/bin (2.8), checked /usr/local/bin/gcc -v and it
apparently had support for c++. Tried to compile using it, wrong libraries.
Made a symbolic link to cc, compiled the kernel, wrong libraries, wouldn't
link.

Then I searched the documentation (Complete FreeBSD 3.2) and find nothing,
searched the www.freebsd.org, and found nothing.

Is there any way to safely upgrade to gcc 2.8, 2.9 or later and have only
one version in the system, with the right libraries, and have the kernel
compile okay?

Thanks a lot to any one that replies.

Luis

PS: I'd appreciate if somebody replies to my personal email address, in
addition to post to the newsgroups.

Thanks, again.

2. BlitzIn (chess interface) runs under WINE great!

3. cc,gcc,egcs, etc, etc....

4. .html -> .ps ?

5. help: cc/gcc/egcs broken

6. 7200 ppc install

7. what is difference between "gcc" and "egcs cc"?

8. XF86conf problem with S3 Chipset

9. EGCS / GCC and static c'tors / d'tors

10. Switching make from Sun's cc to GNU's gcc ...

11. UNIX and 'C' was(Re: CC and GCC)

12. GCC and EGCS, SuSE say they can co-exist, I don't see how

13. FreeBSD cc/gcc compiler problems