Setup on Non-Routable IP Address - could be 3c905 related)

Setup on Non-Routable IP Address - could be 3c905 related)

Post by ioerro » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:23:28

Have looked at the related 3C905 posts, BIOD is set for non-plug and
play...  install and the bootup appear to find and initialize the card
correctly.

following is the configuration:

INTERNET

act.ual.ip.addr
ROUTER
192.168.1.1 (non-routable)
       |                                        |
192.168.1.104               other IP addresses 100-105 in 192.168.1
FreeBSD Box

Router performs NAT functions

Cannot get outside of the FreeBSD box though.  Can ping to the cards
IP address(192.168.1.104...  woo hoo) but cannot ping to router, other
internal IP's or internet IP's (obviously)
Subnet in use is 255.255.255.0 for internal network...

ifconfig shows the correct settings on device xl0 (X L zero)

Can the server be setup and fuction with a non-routable IP address?

Had this machine up and running with redhat with no problems using
internal address...  at a loss, or overlooking something simple in my
frustration.

Comments in this group appreciated.

Dave

Setup on Non-Routable IP Address - could be 3c905 related)

Post by Maik » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 06:09:42

speaking from a FreeBSD rookie...
If it worked in Redhat, then it should work in Freebsd with no problems.
Things to look out for:
ifconfig -a

Check the media type on the card and make sure it is the proper connection
(if you have the combo of this card, like I do)
Check to make sure that the gateway is the router box
And is the router pingable on the other computers?
Check your /etc/rc.conf file just in case
I would assume that the other boxes can ping you?

I know this relates to hostnames, but check your search and nameserver in
/etc/resolv.conf

Personally, I use the 90.0.0.X IPs, just in case I mess up somewhere in the
netMASK.

My problem in my freebsd box is that I can't figure out how to print out the
current routing scheme, like in route [-n], but I get a help screen when I
type that out. *g*

What is odd to me is how you can ping others and not ping the router... when
the router is your gateway....

:
: following is the configuration:
:
: INTERNET
:        |
: act.ual.ip.addr
: ROUTER
: 192.168.1.1 (non-routable)
:        |                                        |
[...]

Post by Tim Daneliu » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 06:50:01

Post what 'ifconfig' -a says as well as the contents of your
/etc/rc.conf file... this sound like a pretty simple problem to
fix once we find what is hosed (technical term ;)...

> Have looked at the related 3C905 posts, BIOD is set for non-plug and
> play...  install and the bootup appear to find and initialize the card
> correctly.

> following is the configuration:

> INTERNET
> act.ual.ip.addr
> ROUTER
> 192.168.1.1 (non-routable)
>        |                                        |
> 192.168.1.104               other IP addresses 100-105 in 192.168.1
> FreeBSD Box

> Router performs NAT functions

> Cannot get outside of the FreeBSD box though.  Can ping to the cards
> IP address(192.168.1.104...  woo hoo) but cannot ping to router, other
> internal IP's or internet IP's (obviously)
> Subnet in use is 255.255.255.0 for internal network...

> ifconfig shows the correct settings on device xl0 (X L zero)

> Can the server be setup and fuction with a non-routable IP address?

> Had this machine up and running with redhat with no problems using
> internal address...  at a loss, or overlooking something simple in my
> frustration.

> Comments in this group appreciated.

> Dave

Tim Daneliuk

Post by Jim Levi » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:01:15

> Have looked at the related 3C905 posts, BIOD is set for non-plug and
> play...  install and the bootup appear to find and initialize the card
> correctly.

> following is the configuration:

> INTERNET
> act.ual.ip.addr ROUTER
> 192.168.1.1 (non-routable)
>        |                                        |
> 192.168.1.104               other IP addresses 100-105 in 192.168.1
> FreeBSD Box

> Router performs NAT functions

> Cannot get outside of the FreeBSD box though.  Can ping to the cards IP
> address(192.168.1.104...  woo hoo) but cannot ping to router, other
> internal IP's or internet IP's (obviously) Subnet in use is
> 255.255.255.0 for internal network...

The fact that you can't ping anything on the local LAN is significant.
That implies that either data isn't being delivered to nodes on the local
lan or that FreeBSD isn't getting the return packets.

That could be a media (speed/mode) mismatch or a resource conflict. The
3c905 is a 10/100 card and can mis-negotiate what speed and mode it
should use. Thankfully, FreeBSD will tell you in the ifconfig output what
speed and mode the card is using (unlike Linux). I can't tell from the net
diagram if you have a hub in between FreeBSD and the router, but
regardless you should know what the capability of the gazooch the cable is
connected to. If the speed/mode is wrong you can force it with ifconfig.

To check for a resource conflict I simply do "dmesg | grep irq" and
examine that output for something else claiming the use of the IRQ that
the NIC is using.

And at the risk of being pedantic... Have you tried a different cable
and/or port on the hub/switch/router?

Quote:> ifconfig shows the correct settings on device xl0 (X L zero)

> Can the server be setup and fuction with a non-routable IP address?

Absolutely, as long as there isn't some other problem.

Quote:> Had this machine up and running with redhat with no problems using
> internal address...  at a loss, or overlooking something simple in my
> frustration.

Differnet OS's may use different IRQ's for PCI devices and may support
different hardware. For instance, only Redhat 7.0 recognizes and allocates
resources for a USB controller. That can result in a case where RH 6.2
worked properly on a box and 7.0 has problems, say with a NIC. When the
later OS is installed what had been a benign conflict (the NIC and USB
using the same IRQ) suddenly caused the NIC to stop working because
interrupts weren't being delivered to the NIC's driver (the USB driver was
catching them and I think you can figure out how I found that out).

Setup on Non-Routable IP Address - could be 3c905 related)

Post by Jim Levi » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:05:20

...snip, snip...

> My problem in my freebsd box is that I can't figure out how to print out
> the current routing scheme, like in route [-n], but I get a help screen
> when I type that out. *g*

Seeing the routing table is easy. "netstat -r" comes readily to mind. I
usually use "netstat -rn", especilly when looking at routing tables on a
misbehaving node to avoid having to wait on DNS timeouts.

Setup on Non-Routable IP Address - could be 3c905 related)

Post by ioerro » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 05:12:30

Ran all the provided scenarios (either prior to or after reading them)
and everything was checking out (up to the NIC that is)...  left with
no options but to check the cables and ports (which were working fine
until the upgrade to FreeBSD) and lo and behold, one o fthe cables is
hosed.

replace said piece of defunct cable and voila, everything works as it
should have.

Must have been the grinch...

Appreciate all the reponses.

Dave

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:01:15 +0600, "Jim Levie"

<snip>

>And at the risk of being pedantic... Have you tried a different cable
>and/or port on the hub/switch/router?

<snip>

1. Routable IP to non-routable forwarding

I am currently using a Linux router for our inbound/outbound firewall, and
everything has been fine using port forwarding.  Now my company has a range
of 8 IP's, and the router recognized the range perfectly.  What I am trying
to do is to have all traffic that comes to a specific IP to one of the
non-routable IP's behind the firewall.  For example, our main ip would be
x.x.105.210 and our secondary would be x.x.105.211.  I want any and all
traffic from x.x.105.211 to go to 192.168.2.220.  I am running out of ideas
of what I need to do.

--
Christopher Cericola

2. Mosaic problem continues

3. dhcp, ipfilter, Cable Modems, and non-routable IP addresses

4. Unix gaining market share faster than NT

5. Routing non-routable address

6. test

7. Cable modem, dhcp, non-routable addresses, OpenBSD 2.6

8. Trouble with PS/1 and /dev/hda

9. Hard Route To A Non-Routable Address

10. setup of cable modem with non-routable LAN

11. net setup on a non-routable class c...

12. IP - non routable ???

13. Non routable IP traffic across SNG 2.2