wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

Post by Rick » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:23:45

ftpd always craps out - in fact, it no longer seems to function upon
restart, dunno why.  I'm thinking of switching to wu-ftpd, which I
believe I installed the from the ports collection, when I installed this
whole thing.  A whereis wu-ftpd finds it in usr/ports/.... I ran make
install but to no avail, what now?

TIA

Rick

wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

Post by Ruben van Gog » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:25:54

If you want you box to be owned soon, try wu-ftpd.
Otherwise I would advice proftpd or glftpd

Greetings,

Ruben van Gogh

Quote:> ftpd always craps out - in fact, it no longer seems to function upon
> restart, dunno why.  I'm thinking of switching to wu-ftpd, which I
> believe I installed the from the ports collection, when I installed this
> whole thing.  A whereis wu-ftpd finds it in usr/ports/.... I ran make
> install but to no avail, what now?

> TIA

> Rick

wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

Post by Rick » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:14:34

well Ruben - you've managed to restate my dilemma in fewer words, but
I'm stuck on the install / execution of wu-ftpd.

I've run make install and have the latest version, inetd.conf calls
/usr/local/libexec/ftpd - should that be changed?

Rick

> If you want you box to be owned soon, try wu-ftpd.
> Otherwise I would advice proftpd or glftpd

> Greetings,

> Ruben van Gogh

wu-ftpd instead of ftpd

Post by Derek Whitte » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:38:48

wu-ftp has alot of security exploits.... not worth the effort...  Definetly
Protfpd....   www.proftpd.org

Quote:> ftpd always craps out - in fact, it no longer seems to function upon
> restart, dunno why.  I'm thinking of switching to wu-ftpd, which I
> believe I installed the from the ports collection, when I installed this
> whole thing.  A whereis wu-ftpd finds it in usr/ports/.... I ran make
> install but to no avail, what now?

> TIA

> Rick

1. in.ftpd zombie problem with wu-ftpd on RH6

We're using wu-ftpd-2.5.0-2 on RedHat 6.0.  The server is working
fine, but we have noticed the following problem:

After several days of operation, there will be many 'leftover'
in.ftpds.  We allow 100 users at a time and this is resulting in users
being denied access to the site even though there are only 3-4 active
connections.

If you do a ftpshut followed by a killall in.ftpd, then all is fine
for several more days.

Once the problem develops, a ps shows:

# ps ax | grep in.ftpd
27280 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29153 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29530 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
30009 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31063 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31067 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31384 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31899 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31948 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
32115 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  324 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  572 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  581 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1094 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1449 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1709 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2302 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2519 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
<many more follow>

wu-ftpd is being launched from inetd.conf as follows:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait.255      root    /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd
-l -a -t240 -T240

Any ideas on solving this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Anything you can imagine (and many things you can't), someone,
somewhere on the net is doing.

      http://www.mindspring.com/~briandaniels

2. many process *appending* to the same file, problem?

3. FreeBSD ftpd 6.0 vs wu-ftpd 2.4

4. this newsgroup

5. Weirdness of solaris ftpd and wu-ftpd

6. Creating dummy processes

7. wu-ftpd or pro-ftpd

8. tulip driver queries ?

9. ftpd default server vs wu-ftpd ?

10. ftpd missing and build wu-ftpd error!

11. wu-ftpd replacement for ftpd

12. ls -l in.ftpd or wu-ftpd ?

13. Wu.ftpd or linux-ftpd?