Newbie question: can't log ssh telnet, or regular telnet into FSD

Newbie question: can't log ssh telnet, or regular telnet into FSD

Post by Maik » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 04:50:25

So I decided to format my system, start fresh with an upgraded FSD...
4.2 I believe.  Have everything all nicely set up with my router like
before... can telnet to it from my main machine and can ftp to it.... so
I figured that everything is fine....leave my place and at work, I can't
ftp or telnet to it!  Someone give me some hints of what I need to do.
I have gone through my rc.firewall, and changed the values to machine my
intranet.... hosts etc etc.  But I know there is this little thing I am
forgetting so I need some hints.

Thanks ahead.

Newbie question: can't log ssh telnet, or regular telnet into FSD

Post by ph03n1 » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:38:17

i am not sure how you start sshd, but traditionally ftp and telnet use some
flavor of inetd. the hosts.allow and hosts.deny (or sometimes just one hosts
file) take care of access control. i would take a look there. also, set your
firewall to log all the packets - that way you can see if they are being
dropped by the firewall or not. good luck!

-ph03n1x

Quote:> So I decided to format my system, start fresh with an upgraded FSD...
> 4.2 I believe.  Have everything all nicely set up with my router like
> before... can telnet to it from my main machine and can ftp to it.... so
> I figured that everything is fine....leave my place and at work, I can't
> ftp or telnet to it!  Someone give me some hints of what I need to do.
> I have gone through my rc.firewall, and changed the values to machine my
> intranet.... hosts etc etc.  But I know there is this little thing I am
> forgetting so I need some hints.

> Thanks ahead.

Newbie question: can't log ssh telnet, or regular telnet into FSD

Post by Garfiel » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:13:47

Is your default gateway setup? Can you ping some address on the internet?
Are you running a firewall on your server or do you have an external
firewall?

> i am not sure how you start sshd, but traditionally ftp and telnet use
some
> flavor of inetd. the hosts.allow and hosts.deny (or sometimes just one
hosts
> file) take care of access control. i would take a look there. also, set
your
> firewall to log all the packets - that way you can see if they are being
> dropped by the firewall or not. good luck!

> -ph03n1x

> > So I decided to format my system, start fresh with an upgraded FSD...
> > 4.2 I believe.  Have everything all nicely set up with my router like
> > before... can telnet to it from my main machine and can ftp to it.... so
> > I figured that everything is fine....leave my place and at work, I can't
> > ftp or telnet to it!  Someone give me some hints of what I need to do.
> > I have gone through my rc.firewall, and changed the values to machine my
> > intranet.... hosts etc etc.  But I know there is this little thing I am
> > forgetting so I need some hints.

> > Thanks ahead.

1. Telnet>Can't telnet in as regular user

Help!!

I can't telnet in as a regular user on my RH5.1 box. I did edit the
securetty file and am able to telnet in as root, but I realize the security
issues with doing that. I have set up several users and none are granted
access when telnetting in. I tried to do it from the machine to localhost
and from work and it always says login incorrect. I have no problem logging
on as these users if not a telnet situation. I am 100% positive that I am
typing the password correctly! What am I doing wrong?

TIA,
Reggie

2. smbclient problem

3. newbie question, telnet on local network vs ssh & security

4. Newbie question: ipfw

5. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

6. REQUEST: a script to create a lot of accounts

7. last: telnet'ed in or ssh'ed in?

8. how to transfer user's account in /home directory

9. Can't Telnet, RedHat 5.0, PAM, Newbie Question

10. newbie's question: ping and telnet does not work

11. Newbie Question: Can't login through telnet or dialup

12. logging outgoing telnet sessions to catch 'hackers'

13. Solved: can't telnet-in before telnet-out