DPT RAID Controllers

Post by Raffaele Giaffred » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi there!
I am trying to install a RAID system with three hard drives IBM
Ultrastar 4.5GB running FreeBSD. The Controller is a DPT 2044UWR.
Everything seemed to work (I was installing FreeBSD on a new machine)
booting the 2.2.6 version from the floppy and installing from the
CD-ROM.
All the drives were recognised and somehow I could have access to them
through the DPT card...well, I installed FreeBSD on the internal drive
(a Seagate one). Everything worked fine booting from floppy...when the
system tried to 'stand up' on its own...bloogh!...on the floor...not
able to walk on its own yet!
the message said:

changing root device to st0s1a
panic: cannot mount root

I was searching on the mailing lists and found that it's a common
problem....the last mails on the subject were dated June 98...
I have been trying to create my own kernel on another machine so that I
could boot the 'RAID machine' with it. I followed the steps stated in
Simon Shapiro's web page (http://simon-shapiro.org/howto_patch.html):
downloaded the kernel source 'patched it' but when I checked the
patch.out there were many 'fail' messages and files *.rej created.
Could it be because of the fact that I got the kernel source (or the
source tree???) from the CD-ROM and the patch that I used (the one from
Shapiro's ftp site in /crash, named latest_2.2-patch) doesn't work with
that source tree???
Could anyone who is using DPT controllers give me some hints to solve my
problem?
Thanks
Raffaele

DPT RAID Controllers

Post by Eivind Eklun » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

* Raffaele Giaffreda
| Hi there!
| I am trying to install a RAID system with three hard drives IBM
| Ultrastar 4.5GB running FreeBSD. The Controller is a DPT 2044UWR.
| Everything seemed to work (I was installing FreeBSD on a new machine)
| booting the 2.2.6 version from the floppy and installing from the
| CD-ROM.

Install 2.2.7 instead of 2.2.6.  It is clearly the easiest way to
solve your problems.

Eivind, happy DPT-user.

DPT RAID Controllers

Post by Eivind Eklun » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

* Eivind Eklund
| Install 2.2.7 instead of 2.2.6.  It is clearly the easiest way to
| solve your problems.

* Raffaele Giaffreda
| Thanks, I did so and I was able to install FreeBSD on the internal drive.
| Could you tell me what driver you used in order to configure the RAID
| system?

The DPT manager in DOS.

| Did you patch the kernel with Simon Shapiro's driver
| (http://simon-shapiro.org/) or you used the BSDi driver from DPT
| (DPT_EATA.tgz from http://www.dpt.com/techsup/sc4drvp0.htm#SCO)?

Neither.  Simon's driver is included in FreeBSD 2.2.7.  (I run
-current, though - but it shouldn't make any difference).

Eivind.

DPT RAID Controllers

Post by Matt Dill » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

:>Thanks, I did so and I was able to install FreeBSD on the internal drive.
:>Could you tell me what driver you used in order to configure the RAID
:..

     Heh, the netscape 'what happens when the user hits the submit button
     a bunch of times' bug, in action.

                                                        -Matt
--
    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications

1. DPT raid controller q.

Hi, I have a FreeBSD 3.4 box w/ a DPT controller, 2 disk, RAID 1
configuration. My question is how can I tell when I lose a disk? I
assume that something will show up through syslog, but I would like to
know exactly what to expect so I can get the disk replaced asap. the dpt
manpage didn't say much and the driver source didn't clue me in either.

dmesg sez

da0 at dpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <DPT RAID-1 07M1> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 8760MB (17942072 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1116C)

TIA!

--

// Programmer, Panorama Point web development
// New Mexico, USA

2. router: echo request no reply

3. StorageManager for DPT RAID controllers under Linux?

4. Problems Backing Up Large Filesystems to Tape

5. Get configuration from router

6. Installing a DPT RAID controller

7. [2.4.20-pre2] File lease fixes

8. DPT RAID Controller

9. DPT RAID controllers

10. DPT RAID controller - how to detect a disk failure from a cron job?

11. Problems with DPT Raid Controller

12. Cheap DPT Raid Controllers