Ports Perl 5.6 and 5.8 don't play nicely together

Ports Perl 5.6 and 5.8 don't play nicely together

Post by Bliste » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:12:54

I tried installing Perl 5.8 from the ports tree but other ports that
depend on Perl tries to install 5.6 instead.

And Perl 5.8 and 5.6 don't play nicely with each other: one port clobbers
each other (i.e. installing Perl 5.6 over Perl 5.8 will overwrite the perl
binary, manual pages, etc.).  Looking at the pkg_info will show both Perl
5.6 and 5.8 to be installed.

Is there a way to have the packages use Perl 5.8 instead of 5.6?  I
suppose I can install Perl 5.6 and install Perl 5.8 to clobber all the
files and still have Perl 5.6 listed as installed but I'd prefer something
a little more elegant if possible.

1. RH7.2, cdrecord and cron - don't seem to play nicely together

Hi,

I have set up a cron job  as root to create an ISO file of our main database
directory every evening after hours. I then want to use cdrecord to burn the
.iso file to a CDR. This works fine from the command line but when I put the
cdrecord line into the cron script I always get the error that the .iso file
doesn't have read access from cdrecord. The script looks like this:

EXT=`date -u +%s`
mkisofs -R -o /usr/dbase/db.backup.$EXT /usr/dbase/files
sleep 180
chmod 777 /usr/dbase/db.backup.$EXT
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 /usr/dbase/db.backup.$EXT

This script is added to /etc/crontab as:

30 21 * * mon,tue,wed,thu,fri /usr/dbase/backup.script  >
/var/log/backup.log 2>&1

When I come in each morning the last line in the backup.log is always:

cdrecord: No such file or directory. No read access for
'db.backup.101830600'

The file name changes according to the expansion of $EXT correctly but I
don't know what else to try. I've alreadym added the sleep incase of a
caching problem and I've tried forcing permissions on the file, which is
done by the cron job.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

TIA,

Richard.

2. Xcdroast...plain old files to copy

3. Difficulty while upgrading from solaris 5.6 to 5.8

4. newbie question!

5. problem compiling getaddrinfo on solaris 5.6, solaris 5.8

6. Strange behaviour using SLIP

7. 5.6 -> 5.8: performance problem

8. setting up a PNP modem

9. Do Linux and VIA Apollo 133A Play Nicely together?

10. updating to perl 5.8 via ports

11. perl 5.6.x port

12. Multiple Kickers Don't Play Well Together (& getting rid of the desktop background)

13. Serial ports not playing nicely