How to read/save the output of dialog(1)?

How to read/save the output of dialog(1)?

Post by Conrad Sabati » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm sure this is probably a trivially simple/stupid question,
but how does one read the output of the dialog command into
a variable in a shell script?  I'd like to "fancy up" a few
little utility scripts I use around here, but how to read
from stderr into a variable just is not immediately obvious
to me.

Thanks for any help.
--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm sure this is probably a trivially simple/stupid question,

Quote:> but how does one read the output of the dialog command into
> a variable in a shell script?  I'd like to "fancy up" a few

Or better yet, how do you refresh the screen of a dialog
app?  E.G.  sysinstall doesn't refresh when I do ^L like most *curses
apps.

- Donn

Post by Chris Costell » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Or better yet, how do you refresh the screen of a dialog
> app?  E.G.  sysinstall doesn't refresh when I do ^L like most *curses
> apps.

   Now you're beginning to see how yucky dialog really is.
Dialog is its own monster -- it doesn't use curses.