Error:"/kernel: file: table is full" when running Stronghold

Error:"/kernel: file: table is full" when running Stronghold

Post by isaac.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I've been running a webserver (stronghold) off of FreeBSD 3.3.  Things
have been great, until today.  Now, whenever I try to load a webpage, I
get this error message:

/kernel: file: table is full

repeated dozens of times.  In my stronghold errorlog, I get:
"accept: (client socket): Too many open files in system"
And the hard drive is working real hard.

The hard drive is not full (my df stats show 60%, 22%, 17% capacity,
for filesystems "/dev/wd0s1a", "/dev/wd0s1f", and "/dev/wd0s1e", 100%
for filesystem "procfs" but this is normal when I compare with the
other engineers' machines).

The CGI code has not changed at all (and it is not opening many
files).  I can run Netscape and nedit several windows at once.  And I
have rebooted a couple of times, to no avail.

It looks like some temp/swap space is full, but I don't know where it
is or how to clear it out.  (I suspect this because yesterday, I got
swap-space is full messages for the first time, I had been running
without rebooting for days.  A simple reboot stopped the complaining,
but maybe some residue is left.)  Any ideas?  BTW, I am a novice-
intermediate UNIX user, and a beginner to FreeBSD.

Thanks,

Isaac

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Error:"/kernel: file: table is full" when running Stronghold

Post by Jason E. Murr » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You can use `lsof` to see what files are open.  This might give you a clue
as to what is filling up your file table.

If you don't have the program then: `pkg_add -r lsof` to get it.

--Jason

Quote:>I've been running a webserver (stronghold) off of FreeBSD 3.3.  Things
>have been great, until today.  Now, whenever I try to load a webpage, I
>get this error message:

>/kernel: file: table is full

>repeated dozens of times.  In my stronghold errorlog, I get:
>"accept: (client socket): Too many open files in system"
>And the hard drive is working real hard.

>The hard drive is not full (my df stats show 60%, 22%, 17% capacity,
>for filesystems "/dev/wd0s1a", "/dev/wd0s1f", and "/dev/wd0s1e", 100%
>for filesystem "procfs" but this is normal when I compare with the
>other engineers' machines).

>The CGI code has not changed at all (and it is not opening many
>files).  I can run Netscape and nedit several windows at once.  And I
>have rebooted a couple of times, to no avail.

>It looks like some temp/swap space is full, but I don't know where it
>is or how to clear it out.  (I suspect this because yesterday, I got
>swap-space is full messages for the first time, I had been running
>without rebooting for days.  A simple reboot stopped the complaining,
>but maybe some residue is left.)  Any ideas?  BTW, I am a novice-
>intermediate UNIX user, and a beginner to FreeBSD.

>Thanks,

>Isaac

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. Kernel Problem - "file table is full"

Hi,

I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.0 in a box running a news server and I keep
getting these messages:

/kernel: file: table is full
syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system

I understand that a few kernel changes are necessary for FBSD to run
well with a large number of users, process and open files.

What kernel options should I change and what are the recommended values
for a pretty loaded server ?

TIA,

---
Rui Cohen

2. Filtering TCP/UDP ports

3. What the meaning "/kernel: file: table is full"

4. Port Forwarding / SNAT

5. " File System full " error message : but the partition is not full.

6. Linux on a 64MB flash disk

7. gcc error: "elf error: file insn-attrtab.o: elf_strptr: Request error: no string table"

8. TuDols

9. getting "neighbour table full" error

10. How to solve the problem message -> "file : table is full"

12. Error re-linking kernel "FATAL ERROR: Master Table Overflow"