1. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?
Hi, I've got a 128 Mb flashdisk with hda1 partition of size 48Mb
(actually 50192Kb), of which 41Mb is used. I can directly boot this
partition with a standard lilo configuration. Oh, I have 64Mb of RAM,
but the OS, my small program, and no other servers require only 6Mb of
Since it is a flashdisk, with limited rewrite capabilities, I would like
to load the whole of this hda1 partition into a ramdisk and use the
ramdisk as the root fs, that way I only ever read from the flashdisk.
I don't think I need to use initrd (since my kernel *already* has
everything it will need, I do not need to do a two-stage boot), and I
don't think I need a compressed image of the root filesystem (since the
first partition, which, as explained above, I can also use directly as
the root filesystem, contains exactly what I want to load into RAM).
Ok, so my 2.2.19 kernel has ramdisk support compiled in - i.e. not just
as a module, and also loopback device and initrd, though I don't think I
need the last two of these.
My lilo.config has:
# To use hda1 as root
# To load hda1 into ram0 and use *that* as root fs
append="root=/dev/ram0 start_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=50192 load_ramdisk=1"
Booting the 'flash' works fine, but booting 'ram' doesn't; the kernel
gets loaded correctly, but then it says "can't mount root filesystem on
01:00". I presume '01:00' means major 1 minor 0, which *is* ram0, so it
seems that the kernel knows what I want to be the root filesystem, it's
only that it failed to load the partition into memory before trying to
I also tried adding 'prompt_ramdisk=1' just to see if it was even seeing
any of the ramdisk-related kernel parameters, and it did not prompt me
after loading the kernel, before attempting to load/mount the root
Can anybody offer any advice? Many thanks!
2. Will 20/40 GB tape drv write 5 GB tape?
3. Boot broken, no ramdisk or hd w/PCI video
4. Kgdb: breakpoint in start_kernel
5. Mount /etc on ramdisk (booting from HD)
6. HELP: Modem answers then hangs up
7. How to find nos. of cyl in HD ?
8. reconfiguring my network card
9. Booting Linux from its HD partition using IBM Boot Manager
10. diskless booting using a ramdisk root filesystem; possible ?
11. Booting a ramdisk from HDD using LILO?
12. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'
13. Random Number Generation with Linux (using BSD) and BSD